Friday, November 16, 2018

Diary of an Ultraman: Day 16

I woke up a wee bit cranky as I did not sleep well... did I drink too much caffeine on Thursday?  Am I at the point now in taper where I'm not doing as much so I don't need 9-10 hours of sleep??  Either way, I was a little gruff when the alarm went off.  But that quickly wore off as I got some coffee in me, and we headed toward the pool.

Today's set was only 4k, but a good 1k+ of swimming with paddles which reminded me that I just did a 10k 2 days ago... and 5 days ago... My arms were D.E.A.D.  Hopped on the bike straight out of the pool and cruised a couple of hours easy on the QK.  

On the way back through town we picked up my parents, stopped briefly to drop bikes off at our rental and take a quick shower, then we were off to brunch at the Coffee Shack.  One gigantic latte, and a papaya boat later and we were heading back down the hill to relax for the afternoon.  (The food was amazing, and the people really are as friendly as I thought the other day!!)

We stocked up on groceries and as the afternoon wore on we prepped dinner and relaxed out on the lanai as we ate and watched the sunset.  Do I sound more relaxed to you??  Cause I feel more relaxed.  

One of the things I loved to do before I got serious about triathlon was cook.  I could spend hours in the kitchen and made a point of trying new recipes every week.  I love food, and I love experimenting and working with different ingredients.  As I planned and prepared dinner for my family tonight it reminded me of how much I miss spending time in the kitchen.  All of our produce was locally grown, and we had fresh fish (caught in Hawaii), and even dessert that we had picked up at the Coffee Shack.  

Tomorrow is probably not going to be quite this chill, but I'll take today for what it was and allow tomorrow to be what it needs to be.  I'm heading to bed for the night.  I promised to share a few things that I had learned over my few days away-- and I still will.  But for now, I'm going to just let this calm carry me into sleep.  

Aloha.

No comments: