Thursday, November 15, 2018

Diary of an Ultraman: Day 15

Without judgement or comment here's what I've been up to the last few days.

Day 13.  I rode 75 miles with over 5k climbing.  I did a recovery swim.  On the bike ride we found a total gem of a coffee spot.  It's called the Coffee Shack-- and it literally looks like a shack from the road, but it has a back porch with the most spectacular view, and the people there are so nice.  Maybe it's because I cried in their parking lot for 45 minutes, but they were very sweet to me.  And then we found this view tucked away...



Day 14.  I swam 10k in the pool.  Less than 72 hours after my 10k OW swim... I really enjoyed this challenge.  (OK, I lied, there was commentary.)  Afterwards I ate a LOT of pancakes at IHOP and took a 2 hour nap.  Then I ran and did some core / strength work.

Day 15.  I biked some hill repeats, ran and did a recovery swim.

I also had a chat with Hillary this morning.  She shared some stories to make me feel more normal.  About how everyone struggles with the swim the first time around.  Like one athlete she had wouldn't speak to her for 6 hours after they swam the course together.  And then she went on to have the fastest swim time on race day.  Which is why it's so important to practice the course ahead of time-- so it's not a shock on race day.

She also reminded me that just because the course is more difficult than I could have imagined, that does not make me any less fit.  I'm still in great shape.  I can still execute my plan on this course.  It doesn't matter what that looks like, time wise.

She also said that the hay is in the barn.  And that between now and race day I have free reign to do whatever I need to do to get mentally prepared for the race.  So if that means I sit and drink coffee all day, that's what I do.  Honestly, the training is fine, and I want to do the work for the sake of the work.  But it's nice to know that if I have another panic attack or meltdown, I have a hall pass.

My parents arrived tonight.  We picked them up from the airport and dropped them at the hotel.  We moved into the rental house this afternoon--- and already my stress level has dropped.  It's quiet.  I don't have to fight anyone for parking.  It has tons of space and a full kitchen and an amazing view.  It's the perfect crew staging area.  I have a few other things I want to share (all positive).  But for now I'm heading to bed.  Tomorrow will be an early morning, but only because I want to be able to enjoy the afternoon off with my family.

No comments: