Sunday, November 18, 2018

Diary of an Ultraman: Day 17

I slept like a rock last night.  YAY!  I started my day with a 10 mile progression run over the final 10 miles of the day 3 course.  It was a little bit overcast today so it was perfect running weather.

After the run I made a quick breakfast, ran one final errand before my first crew member arrives tonight, and took a soak in some epsom salts.  Before long it was almost noon and time to start thinking about biking again.  We have dinner reservations tonight with my parents before picking Chris up from the airport so the plan was to leave by noon, pick up my bike, and head toward Waimea to make up the missing miles from the ride I did the other day on the day 2 course.

Less than thrilled about the weather.


As we drove inland we started noticing the clouds hanging pretty low in the sky.  Once we passed through Waimea and started down the descent on the back side it was pouring rain and foggy.  After 10 miles, I told Dan to turn the car around head back to Waimea, this wasn't likely to end any time soon.  We found a little cafe in Waimea and had lunch.  The rain persisted and since we didn't have all day to wait around, I decided I would just ride the descent from Waimea back to Kawaihae.  It's about 10 miles, super steep and winding road.  The winds were a bit switchy so I'm glad I had an opportunity to practice this before race day.

Inside the lava tube.

On the way home we made a quick stop to check out the lava tube that opens up right onto the QK.  I have run and ridden past it at least a dozen times, and never had the time to stop.  Today was that time.  We also hit up a little road side stand -- intending to get malasadas but they were waiting for the dough to rise, so I settled for a coconut instead.

Coconuts!


No comments: