Saturday, July 27, 2013

Beets, Lentils, and Broccoli: My Leap into Vegan Nutrition

As I curl up in front of the fan in my highly air conditioned office, with my steaming cup of pink grapefruit green tea, I wonder.... how in the hell it can be almost August??!  I'm sufficiently recovered from IM CDA, which seems like yesterday, but was actually almost 5 weeks ago.  I've had a couple of good training weeks under my belt and a new workout at Endurance Rehab which always makes me happy.

In contemplating the second half of my season, I was facing several obstacles:  weight gain, stress, poor diet and a suppressed immune system.  After being sick earlier this year (click here for story) I really had to focus on getting completely well, which took months.  I was feeling myself again by late March but noticed that I was still stressed very easily and wasn't recovering as quickly as normal.  I felt healthy, but I could tell my adrenal glands weren't going for any of my shenanigans anymore.  I decided to talk to my nutritionist.  I've worked with Melissa off and on over the last 6 years or so dealing with various issues.  She has always been such a positive influence and helped to encourage me when I needed it.  I had noticed that she was beginning to educate people on the use of essential oils for various ailments, and I was hoping that maybe they would be useful for me.

When I sat down with Melissa in May, I told her that I wanted to treat my allergies and be able to get off of medications (which I absolutely despise taking).  I told her that I wanted to be able to manage stress better and support my adrenal glands.  And my final goal was to be able to gain control of my sugar cravings and bad nutritional habits.  Overall, I'm a good eater.  80% of my diet is spot on.  But working long hours, and dealing with stress 24/7, I am the first in line when someone brings in a box of donuts.  Or pops open a bag of M&Ms.  I had noticed that as my work schedule got crazier, my time at home became more limited and I was no longer packing sufficient food for lunch and dinner.  Instead I'd be hitting the Taco Bell drive through (**cringe**) or stopping for a greasy slice of pizza on my lunch break, and then dinner would be a bowl of cereal at 8:30 pm when I finally got home from work.

The bad food habit got out of control and my pants were starting to feel a little tight around the waist.  Though I intentionally allowed myself to gain weight in January as I was trying to heal, the extra pounds were no longer a welcome visitor on my waistline.  I needed help.  Melissa recommended a program to help support my immune system, fight allergies, and help me deal with stress.  I started using the essential oils in June when my first shipment arrived.

Within 2 weeks, the difference was noticeable.  Even my husband, who generally doesn't subscribe to holistic medical practices remarked on the difference.  Overall I felt better, and my stress level was significantly reduced.  My energy level was improving and I was sleeping better at night.  My husband contributed my improved performance at IM CDA to the essential oils, noting that it was the only thing I had done differently.  I didn't train more, I didn't rest more, I was just taking better care of myself.

In my meeting with Melissa, I also asked her thoughts on a plant based diet.  I was thrilled and a little relieved when she fully supported the idea.  She assured me that all my nutritional needs could be met through a plant based diet, and that it is a healthier way of eating.  So after 6 weeks on the essential oils, when another friend remarked that she wanted to try a plant based nutrition challenge, I jumped on board with her.

You may have heard of The Engine 2 Diet, which has received a lot of press lately.  My friend MK had stumbled across the book and wanted to take on Rip Esselstyn's 28-day challenge.  Having someone to share recipe ideas with, and even share meals with is a huge help.  We set a launch date and I spent a couple of days picking out some easy recipes and shopping for vegan ingredients.  I was kind of nervous, but I was ready to go all in.  For me, having zero will power, it's much easier to say I "can't" eat something, rather than I "shouldn't" eat something.  If I know it's forbidden on my nutrition plan, I move on and look for something else to eat.  Before when I was toying with the veganism, I was still giving in to all my sugar cravings, and bad food choices.  Now, it's not an option.

On my last day before starting my 9-day work week, I spent 5 hours in the kitchen making meals that I could take to work.  MK and I swapped dishes.  She made a lemon lentil soup, and I gave her some of the pad thai that I made.  I stocked my desk at work with snacks that were vegan-friendly and loaded my lunch bag with fruits, veggies, and meals that I made. 

What I have noticed is that it is much easier than I ever imagined, and the support I've received from co-workers and strangers has been amazing.  On day 1, I walked into Starbucks and ordered a venti dark roast (after 5 years of ordering grande non-fat lattes every day).  The barista looked at me, remarking, "well, that's... different.".  When I explained to her that I was going vegan for 30 days, she lit up and shared her own story of using plant based nutrition and how much it positively impacted her health.  She was very encouraging and it was a perfect start to my day. 

The girls at work, who are used to me eating crap all the freakin' time, brought me candy in the form of a Reese's peanut butter cup.  When I told them that I couldn't eat it, and explained why, they promptly went shopping and found a dark chocolate bar (85% cocoa!) with no dairy in it.  Even though I still have to avoid the break room, at least I have a support crew 24/7.

I have felt fantastic so far (day 4 and counting!), and I thought it was a fluke that I didn't experience the usual mid-afternoon slump on day 1, but the trend has continued and I find I'm fuller, more satiated, and not having the usual cravings late in the day.

So, what is my goal with this whole experiment??  Well, I truly hope that I feel so good that I never look back.  And based on the feedback I've received from plant-based eaters, I have no doubt that this will be the case.  I also know that there has to be balance, and freedom in life.  I don't want to my lifestyle to cause me additional stress.  So if that means that I occasionally eat something that contains animal products, I'm not going to freak out.  I understand that it's more challenging to maintain a strictly vegan diet when traveling to less progressive areas of the country, and when racing and I need energy I can't be worried about drinking chicken broth, or taking on-course gels and bars that might contain whey protein.  And I want to be able to celebrate birthdays and holidays with family and friends without being a burden.

But I want all of those instances to be the exception, not the rule.  As my friend MK says, I don't want people thinking that I'm "dieting" or on some "fad" diet.  I believe this is a healthier way of eating, and it needs to be sustainable.  Restrictive diets are typically not sustainable.  I've been careful to use the word nutrition plan rather than diet for that very reason.  Even the word vegan carries a negative connotation for many people.  I'm not making a political statement.  Even though I love animals and advocate for them every day, I'm not doing this for animal rights reasons.  I'm doing this for my health.  And to create a lifestyle that reflects my belief in a holistic approach to wellness.

My hope is that I can share some of my experiences here in case anyone else needs recipe or food ideas.  I'm also secretly hoping that this will be the final key in helping me be completely ready for my 'A' race in November.  I hope to have more energy, lean muscle mass, and be stronger come race day.

Here's my favorite recipe from week 1:

Tart Tahini Sauce*
Blend the following:  3 T tahini, 1 tsp balsamic vinegar, 2 cloves garlic, 1 T chia seeds, 1 T lemon juice, 1/2 tsp dried oregano, 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1/2 c water.

Originally I made the sauce to mix with carrots that were shredded into long, thin ribbons.  But I loved the flavor so much I needed to mix it with something else.  I found a bag of split peas in my pantry so I cooked them up, mashed them with the sauce and *BAM* Tart Tahini Split Peas with the consistency of hummus.  Perfect on corn tortillas or as a dip for veggies. 

*Tahini recipe from The Complete Idiot's Guide to Low-Fat Vegan Cooking by Bo Rinaldi




        

1 comment:

KataA said...

Cool write up! Glad your doing this! Oh and thanks for posting your favorite recipe. Gonna try this one.. looks like its pretty versitle.