Friday, August 9, 2013

Full Steam(ed Veggies) Ahead

I have been completely, 100% plant powered for 2 full weeks now and wanted to share some initial impressions and accomplishments.  First of all, it is sooooo much easier than I ever imagined.  Yes, I have to read a few more labels.  But when you're eating a plant based diet, it's really very simple.  You're automatically (or at least I am) eating more whole foods, less processed foods.  I don't have to look at the label on a bag of black beans to know that I can eat them.

I've had my first experiences dining at restaurants as a vegan.  Thankfully our favorite restaurant, Pita Jungle, is a vegan-friendly restaurant.  I was able to go online and look at their menu, and it tells you right there how to make your favorite meal vegan.  I had to make one simple substitution and I could continue to enjoy my favorite dish.  Another restaurant that we visited, Tia Rosa- a local Mexican restaurant, was a little more difficult.  I didn't want to order a salad, so I searched for something that I could make a few simple modifications to.  I ended up ordering spinach enchiladas, hold the cheese and sauce.  I used salsa instead of the sauce and enjoyed the black beans and corn that came standard on the side.  The server didn't know if the sauce was vegan, but I was happy that he was willing to talk to the cook and they decided it was best to leave it off.

Over the weekend, we wanted to celebrate a friend's birthday at the local wine bar, Postino's.  I initially wasn't going to order food because their menu is loaded with yummy bruschetta- all stacked with gourmet cheeses and some meats.  They were super busy and I didn't want to be a burden.  But when the server came around to help us, my husband encouraged me to ask her about the menu.  I explained that I was eating vegan and she happily pointed out the things on the menu that I could eat, without blinking an eye.

As far as the Engine 2 Diet goes, I have been really disappointed in their "support system".  I follow several chef/ bloggers online who are vegan, and I follow several athlete/chefs who are vegan.  For the most part, everyone acknowledges the challenges of a busy lifestyle and gives great pointers on how to make quick, easy meals that are healthy, portable, and vegan.  When I've looked at the Engine 2 information- to me it seems really judgmental.  Someone posted a question asking about a particular energy bar and was it OK to use for snack/ meal on the go.  The overwhelming response from the author and his bandwagon, was that it was NOT OK, and shame on this person for not getting up earlier to make a proper breakfast for himself and his family.  My reaction was... wtf?  I get up at 4 am, and now you want me to get up at 3 am so that I can sit down to a proper breakfast?  No thanks!  I'll stick with my bowl of cereal, or frozen waffles and peanut butter.  And shoot me now, cause I have a whole box of granola bars on my shelf at work for those days when I don't have time for lunch.  Come on!  This is the real world!  If we're going to be successful, we need real world help.  Not judgment.

That's been the only negative experience so far.  And the day when I walked into the break room and couldn't eat the amazing looking coffee cake.  But seriously, no regrets.  It's full steam(ed veggies) ahead.

Honestly,  my energy levels have been amazing.  I keep waiting to feel run down again, or have a bad day, but so far it hasn't happened.  In fact, just for comparison... 2 weeks ago we did a 100 mile bike/ 5 mile run.  I made it through the workout fine, but I just felt tired and fatigued the whole bike ride.  After 4 miles of the run, the final mile was a death march home after which I lay horizontal on the couch for about 45 minutes.  The rest of the day, I was tired, sore, and ready to fall asleep by 6 pm.

This past weekend, we did essentially the same route for the bike / run, only it was 105 miles bike/ 6 mile run.  I felt fantastic the whole time.  My muscles were fatigued - but in a more normal way- after the long ride, but my energy levels were stable and my head was clear the whole time.  And I tore up the run.  Tore. It. Up.  I smoked the entire 6 miles at my goal pace for IMAZ.  Never wavered.  Never tired.  I felt super strong.  And when I got back to the house, I had energy to spare.  I felt so good that I actually stayed up till 8 pm (which I haven't seen on a Sunday in quite some time) and I got up Monday morning to join the East Valley Runner's for their track workout.  Never in the past would I have been able to do that.  I would have still been wiped out from the night before!

So, I'm still skeptical.  Still waiting for the other shoe to drop.  Still waiting to wake up from my dream and be back to reality.  But... on the off chance that this shit's for real... I will never go back to eating meat/ dairy/ eggs again!

This weekend we're heading north to play in Flagstaff at the Mountain Man Triathlon.  Hoping to post some great results for the half iron distance race and get a little elevation training in.  I'll keep you posted!     

I had a couple of awesome recipes this week but I think my favorite was this quinoa veggie burger.  So darn good!  Even my non-veg family and friends loved the flavor and texture.  Give them a try!!  I recommend upping the spice a little bit maybe with a little paprika or crushed red pepper.  I like it spicy!  I ate them plain with some sweet potato fries on the side, but I think they'd be wonderful served as a burger with a vegan thousand island dressing.  Let me know what you think!

1 comment:

Kata said...

i'm not surprised that your feeling better and better! I'm really impressed that your sticking it through and enjoying the journey. I'll have to try that recipe, thanks!