Friday, July 12, 2013

Wonder Woman: My Interview with Rachel Spatz

A few days shy of her 23rd birthday, I sat down with Rachel Spatz at the Black Cat Coffee House in Phoenix to talk about, well, Rachel.  And her running career.  Just a few weeks prior she finished her fourth 100 miler, the San Diego 100 Mile Endurance Run (SD 100).  Yeah, you heard me right.  She's just 23 years old.  Kinda obvious now why I'm so intrigued.  I wanted to pick her brain and see what makes her tick, and I figured anyone who reads my blog - which is all about endurance sports- would be interested too. 

Spending time with Rachel, I was filled with a sense of calm.  She is genuinely passionate about running and appreciative of her family's support.  She is soft spoken and energetic, but her energy is more zen and runner's high, a lovely contrast to own my hyper-intense, OCD nature.  She was easy to talk to and very humble despite her amazing accomplishments.  I learned a lot in the few hours we spent together, about what it takes to get through a hundred miles, but also what true love of running looks like.  So let me introduce you...

Rachel Spatz
Age:  23 (22 at the time of the interview)
Hometown:  Phoenix- born and raised!
Education:  Bachelor's degree in exercise science with a minor in nutrition
Current position:  Chiropractic assistant

RunnerChick (RC):  When did you start running?

Rachel Spatz (RS):  When I was 15 years old.  2 weeks later I signed up for my first race, a 15k.  My longest run had been 3 miles.  I finished 10th to last out of a thousand people.  I think I ran a 13 1/2 minute per mile pace.  It was awful, but I was hooked.

Why did you start running?

RS:  I have a breathing problem, a vocal cord dysfunction.  I was working with a (physical/ speech) therapist learning to relax and control my breathing.  They had me running on a treadmill to practice so I decided to start running on my own.  I've always liked to challenge myself.  I didn't like the first few races, but I liked the challenge. 

Rachel shared a story with me about selling Girl Scout Cookies when she was younger.  She saw the challenge, and went on to set the state record for the number of boxes sold.  She now worries about the amount of trans-fats that she sold to people during that time, she said with a smile and the concern of a nutritionist. 

RS continues:  My second half marathon was PF Chang's Rock N Roll Half, about 6 years ago, the year it was really cold.  I had a breathing attack and the ambulance was called.  By the time it got there I was fine again and I walked to the finish.  I signed up for my first marathon that night. 

My first marathon was the Rock N Roll San Diego Marathon in 2007.  I was 16 years old.  I kept hoping they wouldn't look too closely at my driver's license.  Since then I've run 12 marathons officially, 3 were under borrowed bibs.  In training (for 100 mile races) I was running marathons twice a week so it's hard to say how many times I've actually covered the distance. 

"Running is a gift."

How many ultras have you run?

RS:  I've done 17 ultras and 2 Ironman triathlons.  And I finished the Oceanside 70.3 in 2008.

(Interrupting)  Really?  Which IM did you do?

RS:  I did Ironman Arizona in 2008 and Ironman Coeur d'Alene in 2010.  At IM AZ I was the youngest competitor.  It was really cool.  I got to go up on stage and talk to Mike Reilly.  Every time I did anything, I could hear them announcing, "the youngest person is out of the water!" or "Off the bike!"  My whole family was there which was really special.  I cried at the finish line, in my Wonder Woman outfit.  (Rachel smiles.)  It's one of those moments you never forget.  You're not given the finish line, you don't know.  That's why I like 100s too.  It's not a given.  70% of the women at San Diego 100 dropped out.  That's huge.  It's part of the challenge.  It's an adventure.  One trip [fall] and you're done. 

I want to go back to Coeur d'Alene maybe for the marathon.  I'm getting out of triathlons.  I've had a lot of falls on my bike, I'm not the best handler.  It's scared me a little.  I also like the community in ultras, it's tight knit.  It's like a family.  You get twice the pain.  Twice the food.  More beer.  (smiles)   You get twice as long.  I like being out there in nature.  And they're so much cheaper!  I don't enjoy swimming or biking that much.  It was all about getting to the run, and then I'd pass people.  I'm not super fast, but I'm consistent.  I'd average 5 hour marathons and be passing people who went faster on the swim and bike.   

Rachel, on course at the San Diego 100.


So, which hundreds [100 mile runs] have you done?

RS:  I finished Rocky Road [in California] in 2011, Nanny Goat [in California] in 2012, Javalina Jundred [in Arizona] in 2012 and San Diego 2013.  I have 2 DNF's [did not finish] at Rocky Road and Javalina Jundred.  (More on these later...)

Let's talk about SD 100.  Are you self coached?  What was your training like?

RS:  James Bonnett coached me for SD 100.  In the 4 months he worked with me, I PR'd [personal record] in my 50 miler and 50k by over an hour.  He pushed me pretty hard.  I was doing 80+ mile weeks, and a lot of speed work.  I lost 15 pounds.  I thought I'd be slow forever, but I'm finally getting faster.  I don't think I would have finished without him because it as a tough course, lots of climbing.  Having the accountability of working with a coach really helped.  Training smarter, not just more slow miles.  

Prior to SD 100, I was self coached.  Being a running coach (when I was living) in San Diego I was running a lot of miles, but slow miles.  I wasn't running with faster people.  I was pacing people who were running 13 minute miles, I wasn't breaking out of my comfort zone.  My fastest marathon so far is 3:59.  I'm signed up for Lost Dutchman (in February) so I'm excited to see what I can do if I keep working on speed.  My only sub-4 hour marathon is under someone else's name because I borrowed a bib!

James had me running a lot more trails.  It definitely helped me get stronger and faster.  Thompson Peak.  Bell Pass.  Bell Pass is 3-4 miles.  The last mile up is more of a power walk but I'm learning to be more comfortable with more technical trails.  I'm getting more comfortable with running downhills.  I have not had my first fall running yet, so I'm pretty careful.  With the Hokas it's harder to lift your feet up, so I stub my toes a lot.  I was running 6 times a week on trails. 

Working with James, I ran more variety.  Not only harder runs, but my easier runs were easier.  Don't race every run.  Injuries start [by doing that].  I did track workouts.  I push myself so much more in a group setting.  It's more fun.  It's a love/ hate relationship with a track workout.   Some days I did doubles, which wasn't necessarily on his plan, but I loved them! 


Rachel, on course at San Diego 100.  Still smiling!

Have you ever been injured?

RS:  I've had muscle strains, and usually if I take a week off I'm fine.  2 months ago I threw out my back and couldn't run for 3 weeks.  It was the same day a training friend broke her tailbone.  I was so worried I wouldn't make it to the start line.  That was a huge concern for me.  I only had 2 weeks of running again before SD 100.  We never figured out why it happened but I'm giving up the Camelbak and going with handheld water bottles.  I've been lucky to not have any major injuries though.

You can run in the heat with just handhelds? 

RS:  Yes, in training I'll stick with handhelds.  At SD 100 I had a running vest and I carried 3 handhelds.  It was perfect.  In the heat, I will run shorter loops to be safe.  I can do the heat, but I'm not the best at it.  I like carrying water bottles, it helps keep the guns (smiles).  It's built-in strength training.  I'm so used to carrying my phone, keys, camera.  When I don't have anything I feel naked.

"You're not given the finish line, you don't know.  That's why I like 100s too.  It's not a given."

Do you cross train?

RS:  I do spin class once a week with my brother.  I enjoy spending time with him and getting him involved.  I love weight training!  Working at a chiropractic clinic, I stretch much more than I ever did.  It's amazing how much flexibility I've lost since I was in gymnastics. 

Gymnastics!... so did you play any other sports growing up?

I tried ball sports but I'm not one for coordination.  I was the bench warmer.  I tried soccer, basketball.  In teeball I'd be looking for bugs in the grass while I was supposed to be playing.

So back to SD 100... walk me through 100 miles... how do you feel?  any specific challenges?

RS:  Another really cool difference between tris and ultras is pacers.  It's so great to have them.  You become close to these people, they're your best friends.  It's special.  At mile 81 at SD 100 I had a breakdown and my pacer told me to look around at how beautiful it was.   He ran with me from 51 - 100 miles.  He's the sweetest person ever, he's like my running dad.  The last 20 miles, I'm not gonna lie, I was grumpy.  He kept telling me stories and jokes.  It wasn't funny, but he made me smile just knowing he was trying.  

At 2 AM a buck ran right in front of us, scariest moment of my life!  He alerted me to all the cool things.  At the aid station, he made me eat something when I told him I didn't feel good.  Then I puked all over.  We both laughed.  He does hundreds also.  He's really fast and I was honored that he would slow down and run with me.  

And my dad joined me for the last 4 miles.  It helps to have the support from your family.  I know a lot of ultra runners whose families never come to races.  My family is always there.  They worry about me a lot.  I'm out on course, updating them on my cell phone.  And playing words with friends.  (laughs)


Rachel, with her pacer, at San Diego 100.


At Nanny Goat I didn't run with a pacer.  Someone jumped in and ran the last 5 miles with me, just to keep me moving.  Pacers do help.  I did have one at JJ 100 both times.  For me, running at night, it's really helpful.  This year at JJ 100 I don't think I'll have one.  I have run that course so many times, I know I'll be fine.  I've had pacers fall asleep on me while running.  His eyes were closed, it was 30 degrees, and he just kept going.  

I've hallucinated.  I thought I saw a dead body and I screamed.  (It was a sand bag).  Even a friend who has done JJ 100 a bunch of times, got off course for 7 miles because he was "following someone".  Buddying up with someone out there would be great.  

During SD 100 the pick-up van passed me on one of the hardest hills.  My first thought was, 'they're going to be in bed, have hot food, way before me.'  Once the mind goes, the body starts to follow.      

So before SD 100, what was your training like?

RS:  For JJ 100... not too much.  My longest run 4 months prior was 32 miles.  But I had done a 50 miler earlier in the year.  I DNF'd at a 100k for hyponatremia a few weeks prior.  I knew something was wrong.  DNF's suck, but each one is a learning experience.  The more you do these things the more it happens.  Sometimes your body is just off.  But I ended up having a great race at JJ 100.

My pacer [at JJ 100], also named Rachel, ran with me for 53 miles, and she was giggly and happy the whole time.  The first time I did JJ 100 my pacer complained about their feet, their bursitis, their stomach.  I'm not going to say it was their fault I DNF'd, but it definitely didn't help.

I paced several people over the last few years and I've learned what is helpful, and how to get through.  My first 50 miler I DNF'd.  I struggled with an eating disorder and I think it contributed.  I had no energy.  I stopped at mile 32.  Later, when I finished my first 50, someone registered and ran the entire way with me to make sure I got through it.  It stuck out in my mind, would I do that for someone else?  Make that sacrifice?  It was really cool.  Very special.

Wait, an eating disorder?  Can I ask which one?

RS:  Bulimia.  Not many people know this about me.  (sighs)  I wish I knew why.  I wanted to stop, but I was addicted.  I remember counting calories at such an early age.  I actually gained a lot of weight because my body was storing everything.  I got help my first year of college.  Stress made it worse.  I think ultras have helped me to be happy with my body.  When I started doing ultras I got my heart checked because I knew what I did could have affected my heart.  It's a vicious cycle.  You feel terrible the whole time.

Even in the ultra community, every body is different.  I have learned to do what I can with my body.  And it really impressed upon me how careful you have to be in what you tell young girls when they're growing up.  That's why I quit gymnastics at 12 yrs old.  I was developing and someone made fun of me.

"Think long term.  Plan in advance.  Not 3 months before."

So, speaking of nutrition... you're vegan right?

RS:  I have been vegan for 5 months, but I've been vegetarian for 8-9 years.  I prefer a vegan diet for nutritional reasons.  I took a long, hard look at my diet and being vegan took away things that I shouldn't be eating.  Cheese.  And butter. 

I enjoy cooking.  It's so fun when something actually turns out [in the kitchen]!  My parents were mad at me at first when I became vegetarian.  But now, they've even set some boundaries in their diets because of animal rights and farming practices.  People don't talk about it, but everyone should know where their food is coming from.

I don't push people one way or another, but education is important.  Read your ingredients.  If you can't read it, don't eat it.  I don't push veganism.  If someone asks me, I'll tell them.  There's too much politics involved.  I feel a lot better and I eat a lot more.

At first it was difficult, I craved cheese all the time.  Mac and Cheese.  I realized how much I used butter and cheese when I got rid of them.  There's plenty of unhealthy vegan foods, but it's all in how you eat.  You can still eat too much, and eat the wrong foods.  Adding more spices, instead of butter and fat makes a difference.  People shut off their minds [to veganism] but you can eat so many things!

So I attempted a conversion to veganism briefly last winter.  It didn't go well because I had too many other things going on in my life at that time and I ended up getting sick so I put the diet change on hold.  Any advice for someone interested in veganism?

RS:  Look up recipes online.  How do I make good vegan pancakes?  Google it.  Make it fun.  If other people are interested in it, invite them over and cook together.  I make almost every food you can eat, but I feel better.  Start off slow.  Slowly take things away.  Make small changes.  It took me a while to get used to vegan cheese, but I was open to new foods.  Go to vegan restaurants and get ideas.  Add protein, not just sugar.  Protein and healthy fat help with satiety.

I've been vegan for 5 months, I started in January.  It was kind of a 'why not' thing.  And it did help me to lose 15 pounds.  I have more energy.  I know people who are vegan, but go into survival mode at races and eat non-vegan.  Different things work for different people.  You can't judge people.  I know people who are 90% vegan.  If you go to France, you splurge on good cheeses.  Some people have celebratory days.  I drank broth at JJ 100 last year.  It may have been chicken broth.  I don't know.  It was warm and it helped.  But I hate the thought of drinking chicken juice.  (laughs)  Aravaipa makes it easy for their racers with the Daiya cheese quesadillas.  They do a great job.

I think people can learn a lot from successes and failures.  What stands out in your mind as successful racing?

RS:  My sub-4 hour marathon.  3:59:09.  That was probably the best race I've had, feeling-wize.  I didn't taper.  I got the bib the day before.  I didn't have any stress, I just thought it'd be a good training day.  I got the bib off of craigslist.  For me, that was special because I had been wanting sub 4 for years.  I didn't think it was a PR course, it just happened.  It did make me question tapering.  The stress building up to tapering. 

Ultra-wise, SD 100 was one of the best 100s because I didn't have a moment when I had a breakdown and questioned finishing.  Other than the hospital visit (post race) nothing really went wrong.  I had a few blisters and puked a few times.  I smiled at every aid station.  I saw a lot of people I hadn't seen in a long time.  Having my dad run the last 5 miles with me. Those are the two that stand out.

And when you DNF'd... what made you stop? 

RS:  My first 100 miler I dropped at 67 miles (JJ 100) and Rocky Road at 75 miles.  My feet hurt so badly.  I was crawling and crying.  That's not me.  I'm usually smiling.  I changed to Hoka's and have not had that issue again.  Between the two DNF's I did finish Rocky Road successfully.  I changed shoes 6-7 times that day.  It was raining and cold. 

Having DNF's makes these events humbling.  It makes the finishes even more special.  My first 100 finish... you can't describe it.  Going from a DNF to finishing, feeling good- it's like WOW!  You expect a crash mentally, but it didn't happen.


Rachel, at an aid station during San Diego 100.  I love this photo because you can see the excitement of her friend, but also Rachel's own exhaustion and struggle.  Despite highs and lows, Rachel pushed through to the finish.


What has helped you be successful at 100s?

RS:  At SD 100... less phone time.  As dumb as that sounds.  And less stopping at aid stations.  Beware of the chair!  You see people hanging out at aid stations for 5-10 minutes and that all adds up.  At JJ 100 I went 27:07 and I got in and out of the aid stations.  My first time, I sat down and talked to family and I'd be there 10 minutes!  Keep moving, and when you feel bad take it mile by mile.  Don't think about how far you have to go still.  You will start to feel better.

Everyone has mental blocks- you just have to walk through it.  Laugh out loud.  Sing songs!  Do whatever makes you smile.  If you get into a bad mind set, you have to keep going.  Personally, it helps to be happier when I run, than to stay in a bad mood.  As my pacer said, look around!  We were so blessed.  If you're fortunate enough to make it to the start line, it's a blessing. 

Practice nutrition.  Long runs at different temperatures.  Find out ahead of time what the race weather is like typically.  Do what you can to replicate trails, terrain, weather.  Nutrition is so different at 100 degrees compared to 50-60 degrees.  What worked for me was switching to liquid calories and bananas for the last 50 miles.  I didn't have any stomach issues. 

You're working so hard, and burning so many calories and if you're constantly putting solid food in, it's a lot.  I think I'll keep up with that.  Tailwind (a liquid nutrition) was on the course.  I looked it up, and tried it.  It wasn't too sweet.  And I took in bananas and salt pills.  And a pinch of Himalayan pink salt.  I took frs tabs.  The first 50 miles, I eat more solid foods- stock up on calories. 

At night, the time seems to go by so much faster.  You just go aid station to aid station.  It's very soothing.  Being out there and talking and laughing.  I also had packets of Pocket Fuel, which I loved!  I had 3-4 of those over the last 50 miles.  I wasn't hungry.  It seemed to work well. 

Do you run with music?

RS:  NO!  I haven't since Across the Years.  That was another awful race!  I think that's another reason I've gotten faster.  I'm more in tune with my body.  It makes me feel sad when I see people running on trails with music.  They're missing out.  The birds chirping.  And it's a safety thing.  A few weeks ago I was running with Mike and Kimberly Miller and we came upon a rattlesnake.  If you can't hear a rattlesnake, it's dangerous! 

Another reason is, I would memorize how long each song was and it would go by even slower.  If I'm calculating how much time has gone by.  I couldn't zone out, in a good way.  It's good to be aware of your surroundings.  You need to be able to hear other runners, and snakes!  My fastest races have been without music.  Go figure!

You have JJ 100 up next.  Will you continue to work with James for JJ? 

RS:  I qualified for Western States at SD 100.  If I get in, I want him to train me again.  And maybe for Lost Dutchman.  For a big race, I definitely want him to coach me.  For JJ, and the summer training, I need a break from long runs and speedwork.  It's just too hard in the summer.  I am signed up for several Aravaipa trail races which will help my training.  I want to dress up [in costume] and have fun out there [at JJ 100].  I know the costume will slow me down. 

I worked with an online coach for my sub-4 marathon, and it was totally impersonal.  James would text me and ask how things were going.  We would meet up and talk about training over beer.  He took me out to dinner after the race, it was neat.  That's what separates a good coach. 

Do you have any bucket list races?

RS:  Western States 100.  It's a 30 hour cutoff but it's easier than SD 100.  I know I can do it.  It's just getting in [through the lottery].  Boston was on my list, but with the new qualification times I don't know if I can make it.  3:35.  Every person is different and has their gifts.  Speed is not one of mine.  It would take a lot of work for me to qualify.  I think I'd be a squeaker.  (Referring to the article in Runner's World about squeaking in just under the qualifying standard.)

A sub-24 hour 100 I think is in the cards.  No race picked out yet for this, but maybe JJ 100 in 2014.  Maybe work with James over the winter to improve my 50 mile/ 50k times.  Working on getting through the night running, not walking.  It's getting the second half right.  It would be nice to do a 100 with consistent splits.  In a 100, you're stopping more at night.  Changing shoes.  But if you feel good, at night when it's cooler, it would be the time to pick it up. 

Do you have any advise for someone who wants to run a 100 miler... me for example? 

RS:  I would recommend a 50 miler first, and run the day after a 50 miler.  To flush the muscles, but also learning to run when you don't want to run or when you're sore.  Last year in school I did a lot of runs at night. 

Train with a group.  It helps when you're doing 20-30 mile long runs.  Whether it's a coach, or a friend, it helps tremendously.  Instead of doing a 40 mile long run, I'd do back to back long runs, still running on sore legs. 

Go to an ultra and volunteer.  See what can go right.  See what can go wrong.  Learn what you can by watching people.  Watch the aid stations.  Watch the finish line.  I paced a 100 miler first and I saw the good and the bad.  Maybe don't be at the finish line! (laughing)  Be out there in the middle of the night and see what happens to people.  I've had some people tell me, "I could walk the whole thing in that time," and it's hard for people to understand.  It's not like racing a marathon.  You add up all the stops and the aid stations. 

Plan in advance.  Think long term.  Not 3 months before.


Success!  Rachel accepts congratulations at the finish line of the San Diego 100.


Anything you want to add?

RS:  (thinking)  I think that's good.  You have a whole biography on me!  James Bonnett did his first 100 at 12 years old.  I have a friend whose child also competed in a 100 at 12.  You can do these things and not ruin your body.  James' dad ran 100s and he decided to run with him.  You always have people that say, "that's dumb," or "don't you know how bad that is on your body?"  Do what you love, tune out the negative people.  I started marathoning at 16.  I had people say, "you're still growing", but I stopped growing when I was 12! (laughs)  A lot of my friends are older than me since I started so young.  Everyone in the sport is 10, 20 years older than me, doing what I love too.

Unlike marathons, I like ultras because it's not about times.  I used to feel bad about myself if I didn't get the time that I wanted.  Since switching to trails, I haven't run a marathon since.  I haven't gone back.  People become time obsessed and lose the passion and the love of running.  Some runs are just bad, you can't take it personally.  Running is a gift. 

I don't want to be one of those people that can't run when I'm 60.  I think it's about listening to your body.  I stay off roads because my knees hurt less on trails.  My mom has run a couple of marathons and it's awesome to see her come across the finish line.  It was cool to train with my mom.  She has a big, big heart.  She'd be out there for 6 hours completing her 20 mile training run.  I'd have breakfast and hang out with my friends [after my run] and she's still out there.  She signed up for Nike Women's Marathon with Team in Training with 4 months to train.  But she wanted to prove me wrong when I said it wasn't a good idea. 

With Lost Dutchman she mentioned she might do that course again!  I just want her to be healthy.  It's about finding something you love and sticking with it.  Even if she's walking.  At 60 or 70 a lot of people just give up.  I see stubborn people out there doing ultras and Ironman in their 60s and 70s.  A lot of race directors are older and they're stubborn, out there fighting for what they love. 

********************

Wow.  Reflecting on our conversation from that morning, I'm simultaneously impressed and inspired by this 5 foot phenom.  I hope you've enjoyed getting to know Rachel a little bit better.  And the next time a challenge seems just a little bit too daunting, too out of reach, just remember everything Rachel has accomplished just because she thought she could.  And though she plans to dress as a hobbit at this year's Javalina Jundred, I will always think of her as Wonder Woman.   
    

 

No comments: