Saturday, May 9, 2009

Knott Girls vs Beantown:

My little sister ran the FarGO Marathon today in a time of 3:36 and change to qualify for the Boston Marathon! I am so excited! I still have not come down off my cloud. I am really looking forward to having her run Boston with us next April. I was at work this morning and I knew her call would be coming in around 10 am. I kept checking the online results page to see if the results were updated. I screamed (with joy) when she said those 4 little words: I'm going to Boston! I think I was more excited for her than I was for myself though I think it still hasn't quite sunk in for me. But that's the great thing about having siblings. You have this other person who shares your history and knows everything about you that can share in your successes and failures. You love each other unconditionally and celebrate each other. I remember my mom telling the story about when I was in 8th grade and tried out to be on the cheerleading squad for my 9th grade year. My older sister (not the one pictured with me), who was a year ahead of me was also trying out for the squad. I don't remember if she had tried out her freshman year and didn't make it? I think that was the case. So this time around my family was worried about what would happen if she didn't make it again and I did. My mom drove my friend and I down to the school that night after the results were posted. My sister was with her friends so she wasn't with us. Apparently after jumping up and down and screaming I came running back to the car to tell my mom that my sister had made the squad. My mom asked, well what about you? And I said, oh, yeah I did too! That's one of her favorite mom stories. That I was more excited for my sister's success than my own. And I can honestly say that my first 3 years on the squad were a lot more fun with her by my side. After she graduated it just wasn't the same. I can't imagine not having sisters. I feel blessed to have such amazing women in my family and to have good relationships with all of them. We don't always agree but we always love each other in the end. Boston will be that much more special with Dan and Katie running with me, and mom and dad cheering on the sidelines.

No comments: