Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Quality time

My last day at home with the family. Last night my dad and I cooked dinner together. Nothing extravagant, but neither of us had ever made scallops before so we decided to tackle them. I have to say it was pretty fabulous! The food and spending quality time with my dad. I got up early to swim at the Y before getting my teeth cleaned at 7:45. Most people in the midwest don't swim until summer hits. Those that do swim... can swim. I felt like I crashed the good ol boys club at the Y. I didn't have room to pack all my swim gear (kick board, pull buoy, etc) so I showed up at the pool with goggles and workout in hand. The guy getting into the lane next to me swapped a few notes on workouts and then I jumped in and took off. He proceeded to hand me my ass as he lapped me over and over and over again. And then some of his buddies showed up and also kicked my butt. I am used to swimming at a fitness club where the average person is trying to get in shape or has very little swimming background. There are some good "triathlete-swimmers" but I can count on one hand the number of true swimmers. So at home I feel pretty good about myself when I swim. I feel fast. Today, I felt slow and amatuerish. And it didn't help that I was doing my technique workout (lots of drills) and with my hip flexor/ adductor strain I can't kick very fast so my drills were even slower than usual. Oh well, I guess I don't mind letting some middle aged used-to-be-swimmers beat me in the pool. Helps boost their ego a bit I suppose. Plus I'm sure I was a nice sight for sore eyes compared to the 80 year olds doing leg exercises that typically claim the rest of the lanes. All in all it felt great to swim. It loosened up my hip a bit so I could walk. And I managed to get 3500 in within my 75 minute time frame.

After my teeth cleaning... (another glowing report card! I am a firm believer in the electric toothbrush and Crest)... I went home and whipped up some breakfast (toast, egg whites, bacon) and then it was off to Panera with mom for some coffee. On our way my sis called and suggested we hang out with the kids and then get lunch before nap time. So the three of us, plus the three kids, plus my best friend and her little one all went to the park and walked across the new bridge across the river. We had to stop and play on the other side before we could walk back. Imagine 4 children under the age of 4... Yeah, we had our hands full! They are so fun to watch though. Seeing the joy in their faces as they run around an play. It's priceless. After lunch we helped my sis get her kids down for a nap and came home to rest up for this evening. It's just mom and I on the town.. maybe dinner and a movie? Tomorrow I have an early flight back home where the temps somehow soarded to 100 while I've been gone. Bummer. I was just getting used to 60 again.

No comments: