Sunday, April 19, 2009

Adrenaline addict

So I've been scraped and stretched and manipulated for 4 days now. I took a couple of rest days. I'm bruised and swollen. But somehow I still managed to run a PR at Pat's Run yesterday! It's the annual 4.2 mile run with a following now of over 15,000 people. It was a beautiful morning and I was decked out in Pink Paradise. I thought I'd just go and take it easy, maybe do a little walk/ jog bit. But as I lined up in the corral and the excitement was building I just couldn't help myself. I think I actually felt my adrenal glands squeeze when the gun went off and the rush of adrenaline masked the discomfort. I actually would have been able to run faster if I had done an ounce of speed training in the last 8 weeks. As it were, my heart rate was too high and therefore my stomach tied itself in a knot and I thought I was going to vomit for a good majority of the race, but my legs felt fine. I ran 30:21 which averages out to be something around 7:15 pace. Who knew?

I caught the last flight home last night and arrived around midnight. The gift I bought for my nephews caused quite a stir at security. I never thought that the giant sidewalk chalk might look like something dangerous on an xray scanner! But I'm always more than willing to have my stuff searched and the crew got a good laugh at the brightly colored sticks. It is good to see my family's smiling faces and hear their laughter. My sister and I layed in bed talking for another hour. We just couldn't wait until "coffee time" later this morning. So I am off to breakfast with the grandparents and then coffee with sis, and then cooking dinner with dad tonight.

No comments: