Saturday, January 31, 2009

Natural selection...

I witnessed the craziest thing today. I was out for my run on my usual canal. The canal runs parallel to Power Road, and Warner Road, which runs perpendicular, dead ends just before the canal at about the 2 mile mark. I was running toward home, with a little over 2 miles to go. I see this black car speeding down Warner Rd. Crap, I think, they are going to drive on the canal. It is illegal to drive on the canal but it doesn't stop people from doing it. I hate it because they kick up a lot of dust. Anyway, this car comes speeding down Warner and doesn't stop, doesn't hit the brakes, just goes flying and launches over the canal. The car cleared the canal (a minimum of 12 feet!), it's back end just dipping in the water before landing on the bank on the other side and almost going into the ditch. Car parts flew off with impact and there was smoke coming from the front end. It was insane. It took me about a minute to get to the site of the accident and just as I arrived a woman climbed out of the rear passenger door. I shouted to her (on the other side of the canal!) to make sure she was ok. She told me she had already called for help and was surveying the damage to her vehicle. At that point a few people came out of the building that was on the corner so I continued on my run, not wanting to be late to work. On my way to work I glanced over to see about a half dozen vehicles with flashing lights cleaning up the mess. I'm hoping to hear about the incident on the news... what could have possibly happened to make someone plow through a dead end at 60 mph and launch over the canal???

No comments: