Wednesday, October 1, 2008

My last 4 days...

Where has my weekend gone? Let's see. Saturday- ran 6 miles, 3 at race pace. Or so I believe since my Garmin (having been reset) didn't track my mile splits. But every time I looked down, I was on pace. Then worked. Then went to 40th birthday party for friend. Then went to movie... The Women. Very good. I really enjoyed it. Could relate to it. Had a good cast.

Sunday was the best day ever. I ran my 11 miles at Tempe Lake. Then I followed the "Hour After" recommendations I found in Runner's World last month. I drank an electrolyte beverage. I stretched. I changed into dry clothes. I drank some ensure (began refueling). I bought ice to create an ice bath where I soaked for 15 minutes while sipping hot coffee and eating oatmeal (more refueling). Then I layed down for 30 minutes. I didn't actually fall asleep, but I gave my body the option. No reading. Lights out. Just rested. When I hadn't fallen asleep 30 minutes later, I got up to do some work around the house. Cleaned. Made turkey for lunch. When Dan got home from his long ride at 1:30 we ate lunch and then took a nap. It was awesome. I think I slept for about 90 minutes. Then we grocery shopped for the week and ordered pizza for dinner. It was a very lazy day.

Monday, start of my first recovery week. In my marathon training plan, they are not actually labeled as a "recovery week", but for mental reasons I like to call them that. I'm actually only stepping back 25% from the previous week. So really its only 10 miles difference, but mentally if I tell myself it's recovery, I feel like I get more rest. I ran easy. Met with my trainer JA to update my strength program. She is killin me! I love the exercises though. I really feel like she takes the time to think about what I need specifically. She is creative in putting the program together and it's a fun workout.

Tuesday, my very first hill workout. Ever. Not that I never run hills. But I've never specifically done hill repeats. It was not so much fun. Not because of the hills necessarily. Here, I'll paint you a picture. I sleep in. When Dan's alarm goes off at 6:22 am, I get up. I am dragging my feet getting dressed because I am indecisive. Part of me wants to bail on the hill workout and just do an easy run. My hamstring is still tight. I'm feeling lazy. But I decide I better do it cause I only get the chance officially every 3 weeks. Then comes the debate. Where do I go? Fight rush hour traffic and drive to Tempe Lake? Usery? No, Dan said that was injury waiting to happen. I decide on Hawes hill. It's a 1/4 mile fairly steep hill in a neighborhood out toward Usery. Problem is, Hawes hill is at the peak of a bunch of other less steep hills. So no matter what, I have to run uphill to get to Hawes to start my hill repeats. I'm only scheduled to run 7 miles, but from where I park it is 3 miles to the base of Hawes. By the time I get there, I'm totally parched. I am carrying water, but I have drank more than half of it in the first 3 miles (running into a horrible headwind-- my mouth was so dry!). I run my 4 x hill repeats. It's not so bad. The uphill I run at about a 10:40 pace. At the end of my last hill, I head back toward my car. It's a mile to get out of the neighborhood and then 2 miles to my car. I meet up with Dan at the stop sign with 2 miles to go. He's out on the bike. I flop down onto the curb and am totally melodramatic about how horrid I feel. He refills my water bottle for me and tells me to get up off the curb. He tells me to walk back to the car if it's so bad. No, that will take too long, I think. I start running again. Now, it's mostly downhill. Plus I have water again so I am feeling better. By the time I get back to my car, my mood has lifted. 8 miles total. 9:22 pace, even with the hill repeats! I even stop in to buy some fresh bread at the Breadsmith before I head home. I catch a glimpse of myself reflected in my car window as I pull my T-shirt on to head into the bread shop. Wow, I think, I look like a runner. I smile. I end my day with a massage. As I told Dan, I don't pay for massage to be relaxing, I pay for it to be beneficial. And I think it was. Cristina beat the crap out of me... in a good way. I am feeling much better today and my hamstring is back to normal! Thanks, Cristina!

No comments: