Friday, October 3, 2008

Clock is ticking, Garmin...


Training without a Garmin.... not easy. When you are a "type A" personality and you need to have all the stats on every step you take, it's tough to go out for a run with nothing. No watch. No clock. No splits. No pace. Just run. I have to say though, it was kind of refreshing. I ran yesterday on my usual canal. I'm pretty familiar with the landmarks and so I took my best guess on where I needed to turn around to hit my target mileage. A very short 4 miles. (hooray recovery week!) Also, with no Garmin to pace me I couldn't very well do a tempo run so it turned into a fartlek workout. Supposedly I will have a replacement today. If the Garmin company holds to their word. It was supposed to ship out yesterday, overnighted. I need it for my MRP workout tomorrow and my LR on Sunday. We went back and forth and back and forth and finally I think I got through to them that I could not wait 10-14 working days AFTER they received my Garmin in the mail to ship out a replacement. That's like 3 weeks of training. I can't wait that long. I need it now. And definitely before I leave for Hawaii in a week. I contemplated buying a new one. One of the fancy 405 models. But I'm technicologically challenged. I know my 201 inside and out. I don't have to think about what buttons I'm pushing. I just run. I don't know if I could learn to use the new model AND train for a marathon at the same time. Maybe after I qualify for Boston. There will be more time then. Oh, hurry up delivery guy. Bring me my Garmin!!
P.S. Just for fun, I snagged the pic of my 201 model off the Garmin website... it's label is "entry level" Ha Ha! That's how challenged I am. TG they make something for those of us who aren't engineers!

2 comments:

joshua said...

Hola!! hi Mary and dan.mmm! I've been thinking about getting one of those new Garmins, but for me is like to much pressure, I'm the kind of guy that goes like the wind, but they help a lot I know that, are you guys running on sunday at the Tempe lake? ok.
I'm going to Payson on saturday( get some red blood cells,) but my long run will be here on sunday, don't overtrain!! ha just kidding.
Good luck to you guys.

FindingKona said...

Running at the lake 6:30 am on Sunday. Meet at Tempe Art Center instead of the beach parking lot! (Beach is closed for Oktoberfest!) Maybe see you there?