Sunday, September 7, 2008

You did what?!!?

I gave up grass and trees for dirt and rocks??! What a joke. We left the Midwest and moved to AZ 4 years ago. Though I like Arizona, I don't think I will ever love it like I do the Midwest. It is truly God's country. Rolling hills. Green everywhere. Crops, trees, grass. Cows. Squirrels! I forgot how cute squirrels are. I even saw some wild turkeys on our run today. And that says nothing of the people in the Midwest. You will never find more decent, good, friendly, hard-working people - anywhere. OK, so we are in Wisconsin enjoying the gorgeous weather. Today it is 72 degrees at 2pm.... perfect Ironman weather. Dan has shown me around some of the great running areas in Madison this weekend. Some paths around the lakes and university, the arboretum. There are trails everywhere! And bikers! You've never seen so many cyclists all day, every day. The city is loaded with them. And pretty much every street has a bike lane. Despite it's months of cold winter weather, this city is set up for the outdoor-lover. Even in the winter, the paths are still available for running but also cross country skiing and snow-shoeing.

After sleeping in this morning and going for a 2 hour run at the arboretum, we had breakfast and have been lounging around our friend's house killing time. We've been watching the Ironman online and tracking our friends. We are going to head down to the finish line in time to watch the pros come through and then our volunteer shift at the finish line starts at 5:30 pm. I'm so excited! It will be a whole new experience. I'm hoping to be there to catch my friends Cathy and Kristina from the Skirt Entourage. They are out on the bike right now! During my run I thought about them and tried to telepathically send them some energy. They might not need it right now... but they will surely want some later! They are rock stars and I can't wait to see them finish! Well that's all for now. You'll get a full report from the finish line next time. Until then....

No comments: