Thursday, July 3, 2008

Inspiration and a Coffee Sleeve


Went to the pool this morning. The master's swim class was finishing up the last few of their 30 x 100 workout. The coach (guy I've known for a couple of years) invited me to jump in a lane and join them. So I did... in the fast lane! When I first started to swim in 2005, I was in the second to slowest lane at master's. At Ironman camp in February of 2007 I was in the second to fastest lane. Today, I swam in the fast lane. And I was the second fastest swimmer! Hooray for improvement! After class was over, I took my normal lane and finished up my workout. I swam next to Navy seal swimmer guy so I was motivated to go fast. And I tried to do flip turns, cause I wanted to look like I know what I'm doing. You know. Cause real swimmers flip turn. Usually I don't bother. There's no flip turning in the lake or ocean. Anyway, had a good workout. Got my heart rate up a bit. It was all good.

After my workout I went to Starbucks where I got to try out my new Hip Grip Coffee Sleeve. It's sherpa. Soooo cute. It was a big hit. I don't need a sleeve I brought my own. Saving the environment you know. Love it!
Anyone watching the Olympic Trials? OMG so awesome. Love the swimming and track & field events. Anyway, Visa has this series of commercials called Go World- totally give me goose bumps. One has this track star who's hamstring cramps (in the Olympic race!!) and he has to hobble to the finish, crying. You hear Morgan Freeman narrating in the background... he didn't finish first or second... he...and his dad (who runs out onto the track to help him)... finish dead last.... but he finished. Seriously, brings tears to my eyes. And then there's the one I'm sure you all remember.... of the gymnast who had broken her ankle but only has one vault left to finish the competition. She vaults, lands on one foot and is carried off the mat by her coach.... and wins the gold. I'm choking up. About 12 years ago- before I took up sport- I came home one afternoon and found my sister... in tears... watching an Ironman video. At the time I thought she might need some counseling, maybe some good meds. Now... I totally get it. Sport is inspiring. It's real. It's tough. Shit happen. And people accomplish amazing goals. Now I'm the one crying while I watch athletes come through the finish line chute at an Ironman or marathon. I know what we put on the line every day, just to be able to toe the line at a race. The sacrifice, the sweat, the tears. What it means to be able to race and finish. I never want to give up that feeling.

1 comment:

Janine said...

I need my daily dose of inspiration back! :)