Monday, November 5, 2018

Diary of an Ultraman: Day 5.

5:01 am.  I pick my head up to look at the clock.  Yesssss.  8.5 hours of sleep.  I lay here a moment longer and contemplate the morning.

5:30 am.  I take my laptop out onto the lanai to start working.  Today is a recovery day and I have a lot to catch up on between writing plans, Cadence, and logging into Oasis. 

7:11 am.  I press start on my watch and start swimming.  I've picked up one of the "safe swimmer" buoys which actually doubles as a place to store car keys, etc.  And it gives the illusion that I might be more visible to boats, etc.  It floats, but it's actually creating a bit of drag as I fight the current heading south along the shore.  I feel a bit lazy today.  The body feels fine, I just lack energy.  And it shows as I struggle to keep up with DB, and I'm now regretting my suggestion for him to wear cheater panties. 

7:44 am.  We can't see any buoys.  I'm not sure if it's the roll of the waves, or the boats that have anchored nearby?  And GPS stopped tracking at 1080 yards into the swim, which was where we popped our heads up at the 1.2 mile turn around.  It feels like I need to swim for another 5 minutes, but I also don't have the energy to argue about where the actual turnaround is, so we turn around.

8:30 am.  I'm waiting at the van for him to get his run gear on so I can go get coffee and head back to home base. 
Ocean view.

8:47 am.  I should have sipped my coffee when I left the coffee shop because now it's too late to ask questions and I'm pretty certain there's some form of sweetener in my latte.  Stevia, maybe?  I'm not sure but it makes my tongue prickle.  Which I hate.  I drink it anyway because there's 3 shots of espresso that cannot go to waste. 

9:55 am.  I put a load of laundry into the washer and pop 9 quarters into the machine.  Apparently the cost of laundry has increased significantly since 1995.  I take my laptop to a high top table overlooking the ocean and start writing athlete plans. 

10:25 am.  I toss the socks and towels into the dryer and take all the rest of my stuff upstairs to hang out to dry.  Or attempt to dry.  I'm not sure anything ever dries in 80% humidity.  But at least it won't smell when I put it back on. 

10:42 am.  I am back downstairs working with my amazing "home office" view. 

11:32 am.  I am texting with Josie about her arrival on the island and we are sending selfies of our "current sitch."  She gets this one of my in my home office: 

Home office!

11:36 am.  We retrieve the laundry from the dryer, drop it upstairs and wander across the street to grab lunch at Foster's Kitchen which is my current favorite place to eat.  They make this amazing ahi lime stacker.  All sorts of goodness.  I follow it with a shrimp salad. 

1:16 pm.  I'm back in the room and back to work.  Checking emails, login to Oasis to check lab results and respond to emails.  Pay the invoice for The Next Big Thing.  Write myself a reminder to book the hotel.  Work on Cadence stuff. 

3:17 pm.  Text my teammate Amy to find out what she's ordering for Team SFQ gear for 2019.  Place order.  So much cute new stuff!!!   

3:26 pm.  Make a list for the week.  Flying by the seat of my pants isn't really my thing as we're finding out.  Or found out after day 1 as it were.  So now I have start times for all my workouts for the rest of the week.  No more guess work.  No more "why are you waking me up at this hour???" 

Dinner with a view.


4:38 pm.  I'm drinking a beer.  I've avoided the lure of tropical beverages and this is only my second adult beverage since arriving.

7:06 pm.  Dinner has been consumed.  Bottles are filled.  Hydration pack filled.  Recovery smoothie made and on ice.  My feet are up and my eyelids are getting heavy.  Plan is to be on the bike by 6 am.  Night, y'all. 
Sunset.


No comments: