Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Cycling Camp

"Cycling overload phase begins this weekend!"

My training log brightly pronounced on January 26.  I had watched other teammates go through "run camp" and "swim camp" and wondered what exactly was involved in this, and why wasn't I going through camp?  Now I was going to get some first hand knowledge as I entered my very own cycling camp.

I embraced the training and the ability to get stronger and faster for Ironman Texas which is quickly approaching!!  Right away, my group ride got rained out and I ended up with a 3 hour trainer ride full of big gear intervals and things that immediately made me wish for death upon myself.  I pronounced that I hoped it never rained again as I would much rather be out chasing fast boys down than killing myself on the trainer.  Either way, it hurt.

My new bike getting set up by the pros at Cyclologic.


The weeks flew by and I began to notice improvement.  Even though after the second week I was in a constant state of muscle fatigue, I was getting stronger on the climbs, and faster on the flats.  Between work, second work, and moving I had zero time to do anything but train and sleep.  And I am sleeping like a rock.  Like the dead.  I can literally feel myself healing during my 8 hours of rest at night.  I crawl into bed full of aches and pains and wake up feeling like I could do it all over again the next day.  And I did.

The Dimond.  My gem.  


With fatigue building I began looking for a light at the end of the tunnel.  And then, I tipped over the brink.  After a weekend of 300 bike miles, followed by another couple of long rides I awoke to THE HARDEST WORKOUT EVER.  On paper, it seemed rather simple.  Without going into specifics of the workout, I had to hold a prescribed pace on the treadmill and throw in some climbing intervals.  The pace was relentless.  One I would have trouble sustaining on a good day, let alone when my legs are absolutely trashed.  The climbing intervals weren't so bad, but when you come down off the hill and expect recovery only to realize the pace wasn't slowing at all.... it was all I could do to stay upright.  I prayed that if I were to fall off the treadmill backwards at least someone would have the decency to catch it on video.

I didn't fall off the back of the treadmill.  It took every ounce of effort and self control not to adjust the pace in the final 20 minutes, or step onto the rails for a quick break.  I knew if I did I would only be cheating myself.  No one cares about my training except me.  No once cares if I qualify for Kona except me.  And on race day, when I am falling apart and want to quit, I will remember this workout and KNOW that I can do anything.

After the HARDEST WORKOUT EVER I slowed the treadmill to a walk and tried to catch my breath.  Once my heart rate recovered I stepped off the 'mill slowly cause I was sure I was going to fall over, and wandered/ staggered over to the stretching area.  I laid down on a mat and just stared at the ceiling.  I didn't even have the energy to stretch.  Several people asked if I was OK.  I must have looked as bad as I felt.  Then when I arrived at work an hour later, I could not stand for the duration of my first 2 hours worth of appointments.  I ended up sitting on the floor with the dogs after their exams were finished.  Thankfully in my profession this is acceptable, and often appreciated as bonding with my patients.

Her inaugural ride!


A few days later I saw the workout log updated for the following week.  March 2nd declared "3-4 days easy to let the work sink in and get ready to hurt self at camp!"  Hurt self at camp.  Hurt. self. at. camp.  I was already hurting and now it was going to get a billion times worse.  I easily conjured memories of the pain inflicted at last year's Team HPB camp.  I kept telling myself, just get through Saturday... you've got a trail run on Sunday and then camp taper.  Just get through Saturday.

I made it through Saturday which ended up being a brutal long ride through some horrific headwinds, crosswinds and not enough tail wind.  I was so looking forward to running my favorite trail on Sunday morning.  The plan was for my husband to bike out to the park and meet me so that when my run was over we'd hit the bikes for 2 more hours and then grab lunch.  As I was driving to the park on Sunday morning he called me... "did you remember the duathlon is going on this morning?"  Shit!  I had completely forgotten and though I had so been looking forward to my favorite trail I knew the parking situation was going to be a mess and I had no intention of competing for space on the trail with the racers.

Climbing Pass Mountain


I was already in the car driving and made a last second decision to head to Usery Mountain instead.... the hardest trail in my repertoire with almost 3k of climbing in an equal number of miles.  I wanted to cry.  I knew how hard this trail is on a good day... The run itself went fine.  Despite the grueling terrain, Pass Mountain is one of my favorite trails because it's quiet and the scenery is gorgeous.  The weather was overcast so I only encountered 5 other people in the first 75 minutes.

Enjoying the views.


My husband was waiting in the parking lot of the trailhead when I finished.  I sat down in the car and began pseudo-crying (whining, but no actual tear production).  I was so tired.  My legs were so fatigued.  I just wanted to take a nap, and not go get on the bike for 2 hours.  I was just beyond that point of exhaustion.

I went through the motions of getting my bike kit on and ready to ride.  We headed out and for the first 45 minutes or so I felt OK.  Then I progressively got more and more tired.  And my husband accused me of soft pedaling.  And I went off.  Screaming.  Crying.  I AM NOT SOFT PEDALING!  IF YOU CAN'T SEE THAT I'M WORKING...  and on and on and on.  I'm certain he was A) thinking I was completely nuts and B) contemplating divorce in that moment.  But instead he tried to make me laugh.  Which made me want to cry even more.


Beautiful morning for a brutal trail run!


From that moment on, our ride was all uphill.  And for many miles, uphill into a headwind.  I struggled through every single mile until we turned into the park.  And then I struggled a few more miles back to the car.  I have never been so glad to be done with a workout.  And I really believe that had I been able to do the trail run that I had so been looking forward to I wouldn't have fallen apart the way I did.  It was a difference in expectation versus reality.  Something I'm going to have to learn how to manage on race day because not everything is going to go perfectly.

I have appreciated a couple of easy days and look forward to heading to Team HPB Camp tomorrow afternoon.  It's going to be a hard week of training though I am hoping to see the fruits of my last 4 weeks.  One more week and my cycling overload phase is completed!  Despite the fatigue, I am feeling ready and excited for the start of race season.  I believe in myself in a way that I did not before.  I am stronger than I've ever been, and am continuing to improve.  2015 is MY year!

When I need a reminder that all is good in the world...  My boys.  

No comments: