Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Ornament

You've all played the game I'm sure.  Everyone draws a number to indicate order.  The first person opens a package.  The second person can steal the gift from the first or open a different one, and so on.  Each present can only be stolen twice.  I was number 11 of 18 in the Annual Ladies Ornament Exchange hosted by my friend and TriScottsdale teammate.

It caught my eye from across the room.  Just a glint of gold and a wave of color that reminded me of an American flag.  It was my turn to pick, and rather than take one from the pile of beautifully wrapped packages in the center of the room I found myself drawn to this one.  I reached for it, stealing it from the hands that had just opened it, literally seconds ago.  I turned the ornament in my hand and watched the subtle colors dance.  In the dim light, I recognized that the color was not a flag, but patches of pink and stripes of orange.  And in small, but bold print it read:

Be Brave.  Say YES.  Your dreams can hear you.
I had to have it.  It was mine.

I smuggled the ornament back to my seat while the previous owner chose a new one to unwrap.  I tried to play it off as nothing special, no big deal.  With 7 people left to choose I did not want it stolen again.  It was destiny.  It spoke to me.

Be Brave.  A phrase that my coach's best friend messages me before every Ironman race.  Be Brave.  Don't be afraid to take chances.  Don't be afraid to go after a dream.

Say YES.  Say yes to my dreams.  My calling.  My passion.  Say yes to living life to the fullest and yes to taking a risk.  Say yes in the face of imminent failure.  Say yes.

My dreams can hear me.  That little voice inside your head.  That one that tells you that you ARE good enough.  That you CAN do it.  The one that tells you to keep working, keep trying.  One day all the chips will fall into place.  Just keep showing up.  Your dreams can hear that voice.  Let them hear only positive thoughts.  Do not let your dreams hear your doubts, your fears.  Say YES!  Louder!  And more!  Until all your dreams become reality.

This is my motto.  My mantra for 2015.  Be Brave!  Say YES!  My dreams can hear me... and I want to will make all those dreams come true.




No comments: