Monday, December 22, 2014

Happy Birthday Half Marathon

Just for fun I signed up for the Fiesta Bowl Half Marathon on my birthday.  I knew I would not be in any shape to run fast, but I wanted to do something to celebrate and since my husband was still in a boot after his Achilles's procedure I figured a quick half marathon wouldn't take too much time out of our day together.  My goal was to run under 1:45.

Here's a play by play of the thoughts running through my head:

Start line:  Oh shit, we're really counting down right now?  I just got here! GO!

Mile 1:  7:05
May day!  May day!  Way too fast!!  You're going down in a ball of flames!!

Mile 2:  7:21
I tried to tell you!  You cannot hold this pace!  You're going to die!

Mile 3:  7:26
Fading.....

Mile 4:  7:37
Fuck.  This was a bad idea.  A really bad idea.

Mile 5:  7:50
OK, now this is more like it.  Comfortably hard.  Just hold it here.  You can do this.  

Mile 6:  7:53
Good.  Nearly half way.  You can do this!

Mile 7:  7:49
Only 6 miles to go!  Try not to think about it.

Mile 8:  7:50
Damn, my ass hurts.  Stupid trainer ride!

Mile 9:  7:53
Ugh.  4 miles left, seems so far.  This was a really bad idea.

Mile 10:  7:48
Hmmm.  I could run 9 minute miles and still finish under 1:45.

Mile 11:  7:54
I am so over this sidewalk.  When will this be over?!

Mile 12:  7:51
Who put this hill here???

Mile 13: 7:50
Almost done!!!  I survived!!

Mile 13.1  1:41:28


Custom bib courtesy of the RD.  Happy #38!! 



No comments: