Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Absolute Perfect Timing

Unraveling.  It's coming undone.  Just in time.

This is uncharted territory for me.  In the past I've followed a generic training plan involving 6 months worth of base, build, peak and taper.  Followed by race day.  The plan allotted 3 weeks of a gradual reduction in volume and intensity over the final weeks leading to race day.  Sometimes I approached race day feeling lethargic.  Other times I was well rested and ready to race.  But I never felt any different than I had after a "recovery week" in training.  I was just doing what the plan told me.

Having hired my first ever coach in January, I'm now following a very specific training plan, tailored toward my needs, adjusted based on my response to training.  It remains the best decision I ever made with regards to triathlon.

Over the last 5 weeks I've conquered a ridiculous volume of miles, but not just any miles.  Hard miles.  Hills.  Intervals.  Never before in training have I even come close to feeling the way I do after an ultramarathon, until now.  After running my 50 milers (Tahoe Rim Trail Ultra) there is this incredible pain that consumes my legs immediately after finishing.  It is indescribable, though hopefully you've had a chance to experience it yourself.  After you've been working hard, on your feet for 13 hours, and you cross the finish line and suddenly come to a stop... all the blood just pools in your legs and the pain is excruciating.  It's a special kind of hurt.  An accomplished, I've-done-shit kind of hurt.  I have never had that feeling during training... until last week.  When it happened, I realized just how much work I've been doing.  And I got really excited.    

I still managed to hit some amazing numbers, crushing a 2 hour run off my 70 mile bike ride at an 8:20 pace.  Cruising through a 120 mile bike ride with energy to spare.  Laying down my best 20 mile training run *ever* during which I actually progressed finishing with my final 3 miles as the fastest of the day.

And then the wheels came off.

It started on Thursday when I was supposed to do an 8 mile progression run, but stalled out at mile 4 and despite all my best efforts, could not go any faster.  I survived my workouts on Friday and Saturday.  Then Sunday rolled around and I had a repeat of the workout I had crushed just 10 days earlier.  I suffered through the bike ride, legs completely trashed three quarters of the way through.  I got off the bike and could not even wrap my head around running 2 hours.  I loaded up my hydration pack with all the necessities (it was 94 degrees out when I started) and hit the canal.  It was an absolute slog.

What the heck am I going to do in Texas, I began to think.  How in the hell am I going to survive if I can't even make it through this workout?  I got through Monday, dreading my final trainer ride / run workout on Tuesday.  I had no turnover.  On the bike or on the run.  I was suffering bad.  I logged my workouts, feeling disappointed and a little bit sorry for myself.  This morning I woke up to coach's email response.

"Sounds like we have entered the box with absolute perfect timing.  :) "  

Smiley face included.  I breathed a huge sigh of relief.  No longer disappointed, now I am excited to experience the benefits of a taper that I have actually earned.  One that I need.  Not the taper of yester-race, where I complained about the lack of activity.  A taper during which time my body is going to absorb every last ounce of work that I put in.  With a little bit of rest, and a few perfectly timed sharpening workouts, I am going to head into Texas in peak form.  The best shape I've ever been in for an Ironman race.

I am excited.  I am terrified.  If I think too long about it I can't breathe and panic sets in.  I find myself throughout the day thinking about it, and having to stop and take a deep breath.  I have never wanted anything so badly in my life, other than maybe to qualify for Boston that first time...  I've never had to work for anything so hard in my life.

After my last post, I emailed my coach and asked for some help with a race plan.  She outlined for me, in detail, each leg of the race.  Pacing, fueling, race strategy.  So with my plan in hand, and locked in my brain, I have 10 days to finalize my preparation.  Be mentally ready to stand on the start line and go up against the top girls in my age group.  I have no idea how it's all going to play out.  But I am confident that I have prepared to the best of my ability, and I've never been this ready for an Ironman race in my life.  I promise that on race day when it hurts, which it will, I will fight for everything I've worked hard for.

Until the roof
The roof comes off
Until my legs
Give out from underneath me
I will not fall
I will stand tall
Feels like no one can beat me.

Eminem
"Till I Collapse"
  

2 comments:

TrevorD said...

Love that quote you have at the bottom. Perfect!

Race strong, do your best and have fun!

Damie said...

best of luck, hon!