Saturday, April 26, 2014

Abandoning the Safety Net

The shit is getting real.  Just when I thought I had a little routine figured out with training, we take it up a notch.  With 20 days to IM Texas, I am in the crunch zone- adding on the last long miles to my increasingly tired body.  Adding intensity and speed into the legs.  Working on ingraining the goal run pace into my brain.

I was reviewing my log from the last few weeks.  My last recovery day was April 2, and only the 3rd day completely off since January 1.  Now, I am totally not complaining because I'd rather get my endorphin fix daily.  In fact, I messaged coach on April 1 asking if she was sure I couldn't do something the following day.  Her response... soak it up, you'll be glad you did.  And boy am I glad I did.  I had no idea on April 1st what was in store for the next 4 weeks.  It has been absolutely relentless in the best possible way.  Every day I am reminded how lucky I am to be working with someone so brilliant.  I am amazed at how my body responds to certain workouts, and how much I am able to push through even when I think at any moment during a given workout I'm going to have to wave the white flag.

Without going into specifics, let me give you an example.  Between Friday, Saturday and Sunday I had 132 miles on the bike with 8k+ feet of climbing.  17 miles running with hill repeats and race pace efforts.  And 8300 yards of swimming and all the band and paddle work that this entails.  On Monday I had a bit of a reprieve with only 3 hours of a swim/ run and core session at Endurance Rehab.  Then Tuesday, just about the time I am ready for a day off, I start my day with 2 1/2 hours of trail running.  I was certain that I was going to implode and end up walking.  I didn't.  It took me a little longer than usual to get my legs under me, but when I did there was no stopping me and I finished in my normal pace.  Not feel- fantastic- trail- pace.  Not slow, legs- dead-trail- pace.  Normal pace.  Comfortable pace.  Talk about a confidence booster!  I finished out my day with 2 more workouts and cruised through them because in my mind... I knew I could.    
I have been giving a lot of thought lately to my goals for race day.  And if I am completely honest, I am at a loss.  I am not sure how I see this race playing out.  It's going to be hot and humid.  That's a given.  But it has been every year, and it doesn't stop the top girls from running fast.  I've made significant improvements on the bike, but have I improved enough to go that hard on the bike and be able to hold it together for a decent marathon?  And as much as I've improved my swim, it's still a non-wetsuit swim.  And I'm not a "real swimmer".  I don't maintain the same advantage that I do in a wetsuit swim.

Do I aim high and risk failure?  Do I reel it in and keep my goals "realistic"?  And what is realistic, exactly?  I don't want to be afraid of dreaming big.  I don't want to be afraid of failure.  I know that it will take a lot of hard work and baby steps along the way for me to reach my ultimate goal.  So why not take a chance?    

I believe in visualization.  And that in order to see something, I have to first believe it.  And this is where my coach's approach to training is so beneficial.  Every day that I accomplish something that I don't think is possible, I believe a little bit more.  Every day when I think, OK today my legs are really tired, and I nail the efforts or pace I am supposed to run or bike, I believe.  When she takes my intervals in the pool and drops the pace to where I think, no way, and I still manage to hit the send-offs, I believe.

I believe on race day, what is meant to be will be.  I think my primary goal is to have a race that I am proud of.  It might not be a PR.  Who knows?  I might not land on the podium, as much as this is an outcome goal that I have.  I want to race strong.  I want to get my nutrition/ hydration right.  I want to be fast in transitions.  And I want to run what I know I am capable of running.

I feel like this is a theme that has been on repeat for the last 18 months.  And I'm ready to take it out of the playlist and move on to bigger and better goals.  I am not fond of the unknown, the lack of control.  As a type-A person it is difficult to take a step back and approach this race with a sense of freedom.  And that's exactly what needs to happen if I am going to see these goals through.    

"When you recognize that failing doesn't make you a failure, you give yourself permission to try all sorts of things."    Lauren Fleshman      

Approaching taper, I vow to give up fear.  Fear of failure.  Fear of bonking.  Fear of contact in the swim.  Fear of heat and humidity.  Fear has been a safety net and I'm tired of worrying about everything.  I've found that the best part about having a coach is that there is so much I don't have to think about anymore.  I can just execute the workouts written and watch my fitness improve.  Now, I have to trust the work that I've done, know that I am prepared, and just go out and race.

No comments: