Thursday, September 13, 2012

Me vs. Karma

Do you ever wonder if life is too good?  That you're waiting for the other shoe to drop?  Or something bad to happen?  I used to think that if I did something bad (behaved angrily or did something that wasn't very nice) that Karma would get me back.  Lately I've been thinking that maybe Karma is a little more passive aggressive than that.  I think she throws little punches at me every so often to see if she can knock me off my game, and those negative feelings (if she wins) are the true punishment.  I laugh in her face now, however, because as it turns out, endorphins are a great weapon against negativity. 

For example, nearly a year ago we signed up to race Deuces Wild half iron-distance triathlon, which took place last weekend.  We've been looking forward to the race for weeks now as the date approached.  We had taken Friday off work to drive up to the campsite and get ready for the race on Saturday.  On Thursday night, shortly after falling asleep I was woken up by the urge to piss razor blades.  (I know, a little graphic, but I figure most women have had at least one urinary tract infection in their lifetimes so I'm not alone.)  I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but this is a deal breaker.  I woke my husband and told him I was going to the ER. 

He reluctantly crawled out of bed and offered to drive me to the hospital.  After 2 1/2  hours and a couple of prescription medications later, we were headed home.  At midnight, as I'm tucking my husband back into bed he remarks that 'it looks like we won't be going to Show Low over the weekend'.  I told him we'd just wait and see how I felt in the morning, knowing that the first 12 hours are key.  I soaked in a hot bath and waited for the bladder numbing medication to kick in.  When my pee turned orange from the drug, I dried off and crawled back into bed. 

6 hours later, the alarm is ringing.  This is the least amount of sleep I've had in months.  Maybe longer.  But I felt OK, and decided I could handle the 3 hour drive to Show Low.  No way was I not going to race if I could help it.  I figured I still had another 24 hours to be sure I was good to go.  Mostly, I didn't want to risk becoming dehydrated and cause compromise to my kidneys.  As luck would have it though, the weather was cool and overcast which helped me feel confident I wouldn't be sweating a ton on race day. 

On race day, I felt good.  The antibiotics were doing their job.  I had drank at least 4 liters of water on Friday and felt like I could handle the swim, bike and run without issue.  So off we went to the race start.  Normally, I try to provide an actual account of racing... but to be honest, everything went so smoothly there's not much to tell! 

I was so ready for this race.  I had been really excited about it for several weeks, feeling like I was going to have a good day.  I swam my usual time (31 min, 43 seconds) and was the second female out of the water.  I passed the girl in first within the first couple of miles on the bike and from there, I rode strong for the remainder of the ride coming into T2 in first place after 2 hours, 47 minutes on the bike.  I quickly changed and headed out onto the run course.  I was passed by another girl at mile 4, and she was hauling ass.  But I finished the run in 2 hours, 2 minutes and held on for second place overall, finishing in a time of 5:26:31.

I was ecstatic to finish 40 minutes faster than my previous best on this course, and win $300 at TriSports in the process!  On this course I have never biked faster than 3:05, and have never run faster than 2:22.  So needless to say 20 minutes faster on the bike and run bode well for me in my goal race for the year.  I am really, really looking forward to Ironman Arizona and can't wait to see what I am capable of on that day. 

But back to Karma and her scheeming....

I've been feeling so good in training lately and enjoying every bit of it.  I can't get enough of my bike these days and I feel strong in the water and can lose myself in tempo runs and long miles.  I have never, in 5 years, loved training as much as I do right now.  I just don't want it to end.  I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Yesterday, Karma tried to get me again.  I went out for my morning ride.  It's staying dark later now, so I don't see sunlight until my last few miles.  I rode into my neighborhood at the end of my ride, turned onto my street and onto the sidewalk that leads to my front door.  I approached a turn that I've made a million times successfully.  Normally I unclip from my pedal.  My husband never does.  So yesterday, I'm feeling so confident I think, I don't need to unclip!  I got this!  I turn the corner, my shoe comes in contact with my front wheel because of the sharp angle of the turn and I come to a complete and abrupt halt.  I have no where to go but down so I fall into the bushes.  Nice.  I scurry up and look around to make sure none of my neighbors have witnessed this.  Another reminder that Grace is not my middle name.

I laugh it off and proceed through my day.  Halfway through my workday, I am examining a dog who, with no warning, has explosive diarrhea... all over me.  My capri pants are covered.  It's dripping down my leg and onto my shoes.  I am shocked and repulsed and try really hard not to A) Vomit and B) Run screaming from the building.  I calmly excuse myself, crawl into the bathroom sink for an impromptu bath, and thank the Lord that I keep a spare set of clothes in my desk drawer (this is not the first time, and certainly won't be the last time!).  I swear it was only my endorphins from that morning's ride and swim that kept me from becoming negative about the whole situation.  Yes it was shitty (ha ha... get it?  shitty!), but shit happens (cracking myself up here...).  I got back to work and got through the rest of the day unscathed. 

Karma, I'm sure will keep throwing challenges my way, but as Ironman season progresses and I keep getting stronger and faster, I'm hopeful that my endorphins will help squelch any desire that I have to strangle her.         

1 comment:

SkirtChaser said...

keep up the great work and additude.
I love it and you!!!