Saturday, September 1, 2012

Funk Toe

Some people say that it's normal to lose toenails when you're a runner.  I respectfully disagree.  I don't think one should have to lose toenails (or get blisters, shin splints, etc) because these things are easily prevented by a good, well fitting, appropriately sized pair of running shoes.  Did you know that most women underestimate the size of their feet?  As if having long feet is socially unacceptable?  Wow, totally sidetracked there. 

My feet are a size 10 1/2.  They rarely see the inside of a shoe outside of work, running and cycling.  OK, I guess that makes up a huge portion of my day... but when I'm not at work, my feet live in flip flops.  I don't wear heels to go out.  (I don't really "go out" though as most people think of outings.)  Occasionally I'll throw on my Keens if I'm doing a lot of walking.  But when you look in my closet, you'll see no less than 15 pairs of running shoes. 

I've been a runner for 12 years.  12 years!  Hard to believe!  I toyed with running prior to my actual commitment, but in 2000 I made the leap.  And haven't looked back since.  So back to the toenail bit.  This week, I lost my second toenail ever.  The first one happened in junior high gym class.  We had the typical junior high gymnasium, rectangular shaped with concrete walls.  We were running sprints and rather than slow down before I hit the wall; I ran to the wall, palms out to brace myself and proceeded to swing my foot directly into the concrete knocking my big toenail loose.  Talk about pain.  In one fell swoop, the nail was no longer attached.  It stayed "in place" for a couple of weeks while the nail grew back underneath it. 

This year, while running the Grand Canyon, I managed to do a similar thing involving my foot swinging directly into a rock mid-stride.  After about the third time of kicking a rock with the same toe, I was cursing and knew that underneath my favorite trail shoes would be another funk toe.  That's what we call a gnarly, ugly toe with a mangled nail.  Funk toe. 

So my funk toenail has been growing out over the last 3 months, and yesterday it finally grew out far enough to actually peel away from the underlying bed.  So my pre-race pedicure will have to be delayed until I have a presentable nail for the poor technician who always looks at my feet and sighs as she mumbles in her native Korean language.  I always shrug sheepishly as she soaks and massages my worn feet. 

I am running well, in spite of my funk toe.  This week I enjoyed a tempo run, a track workout and a 20 mile long run.  My funk toe didn't realize it was funky and went along for the ride.  Or run, rather.  This weekend my funk toe is going to bike 110 miles, run a little, and then run some more.  And without funk toe's nail, I might be an ounce lighter for next weekend's race.  Maybe that will make me run faster.  I hope.   

No comments: