Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Over or under?

Today I was up waaaay before the ass crack of dawn (4 am) to be in the water by 4:45. Had a decent 3500 yd technique swim. I am working on slowing down my stoke and in turn having a stronger pull and a better "rhythm". It definitely works, but it's really tough to maintain for longer than 100 yds at a time. My arms are still getting so tired. I have noticed though that when I am able to hold the "rhythm" the master's coach is trying to get me to do... I have a much better kick. Hmmm. Not sure how that all works together but I'll take it. After my swim I show up at rehab looking like the cat that swallowed the canary. Please don't yell at me, I beg. I explain that since it takes a few days for my body to catch up to the training load, I have just realized (in the last 12 hours) that I bit off a little more than I should have in the last four days of training. And subsequently I am extremely tight. No pain. No symptoms. Just tightness and mild fatigue. However- after checking out my alignment, he remarks that it's the best it's been in weeks. OK, so I should keep overtraining?, I ask (ha ha ha). Then he yells. OK not really, but he should have. Sometimes I think it would be so nice to be able to afford a coach who can listen to my feedback and tell me what to do. Instead, decisions all fall on my shoulders and, well, I'm not very reliable. I have a schedule that I am supposed to follow. And my brain tells me that there will be days when I should rest, or go shorter or less intense. My heart on the other hand, says you have IM in less than 18 weeks! You'd better get your ass in gear! It's that sympathetic nervous system kicking it up a notch that keeps me going. I hate to miss a scheduled workout. But I have. And I will. Today for example. Triksie was in the shop this morning otherwise I probably would have been up at 3 to bike AND swim. I just can' t believe how quickly time is flying by. How did I make it through the first 6 weeks without blinking? IM is going to sneak up on me. I just want to be ready.

1 comment:

SkirtChaser said...

try and remember baby that IMAZ 2010 is your real target "A" race.
Not that you aren't going to give it all at IMWI and IMAZ 2009 in training and in the races, but they are stepping stones, they are, as Paula Newby would say, just long, cattered training days.
Well kinda! All of the time between today and race day NOV 2010 is just a way to get stronger and faster!!!!
Love you and know it will all come together!!