Thursday, April 23, 2009

Patience is a virtue

Feeling a little down (again.) today. Ever notice how when you can't have something... it's all you can think about? Like running for instance. I am capable of running, yes, but at the moment it is not in my best interest to run because I seem to be making things worse. My therapist says to be patient. I roll my eyes. That word is not in my vocabulary. I need to take it easy for a few days- focus on just biking and swimming and let my body heal and adjust. Easier said than done. Maybe if I was a swimmer or cyclist it would be easy. But I'm not. I'm a runner. Then a triathlete/ swimmer/ cyclist if there's time and energy left in the day/ week/ month/ year. Don't get me wrong- I love Ironman and can't wait to tackle my next one. But if someone said to me-- you can't bike or swim, I would be a little disappointed but I would be fine. But to even have to take a few days off of running is completely devastating. The way I am moping around you would think someone has died. To my knowledge everyone I love is still very much alive... and I just have a few joints out of whack. And just so you don't think I'm being melodramatic for good cause.. I am not even a fast runner. I am just average. But I work hard and I have the heart of a champion. I have passion and drive and motivation. All the things that make up for lacking actual talent. And now, in an effort to take my own advice (if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all...) I will sign off and be back when I have something more positive and inspiring to say.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mary -

I think you need to (re-)read the following...

http://theskirtchaser.blogspot.com/2008/12/athlete-of-theyear.html

We all fall off the 'positive' horse every now again, so pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back in the saddle girl. You are strong, you are vivacious and most importantly, you are a survivor. Keep kicking ass, one day at a time. You'll recover. Listen to your body and keep living life to the fullest!

xo
Kristina