Wednesday, November 26, 2008

9:54:01


Dan qualified for Kona on Sunday! He finished 11th in his age group taking the last official slot for Kona. He swam 1:04, biked 5:06 and suffered through the run in 3:37, edging out the next in line by 12 seconds. He did an amazing job and I am so proud of his accomplishment! I didn't sleep well all last week, cause I was so nervous for him. He seemed really calm, however. He is recovering well and is planning to take some recovery time before training starts up again for the California 70.3. I can't wait to go with him to Kona next October. He has earned this reward!
On another note, my training has hit a plateau. Dan warned me that this would happen when my mileage started to ramp up. Ever since the half marathon I have no spring in my step. I can't seem to hit my target pace for my mile repeats, and I really struggled through my tempo workout last week. I made the decision to not run the Turkey Trot 10k tomorrow. I am going to do my regular tempo workout instead which will be less taxing on my already fatigued legs. I am planning to sleep in and hopefully Dan will be able to ride the mountain bike next to me as I run. This is my biggest week yet, with 61 miles. Next week is recovery (thank God!) and then I have several (even bigger) weeks left before taper. Now is when I really need to focus and give my training the attention it needs. No more travel. No more volunteering. No more anything. Just run, eat, sleep, run, work, take ice baths, run, stretch, work on core, run some more. I am really loving it though. Taking this 6 months off of triathlon is probably one of the best decisions I've made. I'm feeling refreshed. I feel I've made some serious progress in my running. I'll be ready to tackle training again come January.

No comments: