Friday, October 31, 2008

Running and running and running...

So the reason I've not been giving you a daily report is that I am not supposed to be using the internet at work for "personal use". Since I don't have a computer at home, my access is sporadic. I miss you. I hope you will keep checking back even though I am not consistent at the moment.

So here's what I've been up to this week. I had an uneventful 5 mile EZ run on Wednesday. I say uneventful, but actually the last mile was interesting. There is a guy in my neighborhood who I always see running. He's got this knee brace thingy so he's easy to spot. Ironically I've never seen him outside of the neighborhood. So I must always see him as he's finishing up his run. He always has his ipod on and doesn't necessarily say hi, but acknowledges me when I see him. He does occasionally give me an odd glance - usually if I'm in my Marathon Dress or Zebra print Marathon Girl. So on Wednesday, as I was hitting my last mile, I noticed that he turned onto the canal about a tenth of a mile or so in front of me. Of course, being competitive like I am, I can't let him run faster than me. He was holding a steady pace but was huffing and puffing. With his ipod on, he didn't hear me sneak up and pass him. I gave a wave and said hello and flew on by. So with my last mile being an 8 minute mile, that gave me an average of 9 min/ mile for the whole run.

Thursday had my first track workout in 3 weeks. Planned for 3 x 1600 at 6:56 or better. Since it was pitch black when I left my house and remained dark through my first 2 repeats I had trouble telling if my splits were even. I ran the first one and hit the split before I thought to turn on my watch's light so I didn't see what I ran. I felt like I was running smoothly, but slow. I cranked out the second and third repeats and then headed back home. So here's the final breakdown:
2.5 mile warm-up
3 x 1600 w/ 800 recovery after each one: 6:51, 6:47, 6:45 (woo-hoo!!)
1 mile cool-down
Total: 8 miles
Needless to say, I was very pleased with the splits. Nice even pacing, progressively faster by a few seconds. It felt smooth and so I know I could definitely go faster. Once I run my 1/2 marathon in Tulsa in 2 weeks I can adjust my paces for tempo and track if I need to. I am getting really excited to see what I can do! Looking at Daniel's Running Formula, I should be able to aim for 3:25-3:35 for PF Chang's. I know you are probably not getting as excited about this as I am... but for someone who was never athletic, never played sports, and never considered herself an athlete finishing Ironman a year ago... to think that I could run an 8 minute pace for 26.2 miles seems very surreal.

No comments: