Thursday, August 21, 2008

Have you ever...

Fallen while running? Felt that slow motion descent to earth? Yesterday, I was enjoying a fabulous brick workout. I rode for an hour and then headed out for an easy 4 mile transition run. I ran down my usual canal trail and turned around at the 2 mile mark. I'm in my head, enjoying the day, reflecting on my bike ride when all of a sudden my toe caught the bank of the canal. Unable to get my feet underneath me I landed on my knee, elbow, and hands and went sliding for a few feet before my forward momentum stopped. My legs continued the forward movement so I actually came to a stop on my back in a position reminiscent of 'dead bug' pose in yoga. I sort of had to pause and collect myself, make sure I wasn't injured seriously. Then I had to laugh because my first thought was 'I must have been flying!' since I skidded so far. I got up and ran the last mile and half home, in a hurry to scrub my wounds since my tetanus shot is overdue. In the end I have a nice bruise and some road rash on my knee. My hip was a little sore last night and this morning (I'm getting old!!!), but otherwise I am unscathed.

Today I went to the track for some repeats. My goal was to do a mile repeat and then depending on how that went, I would do a second mile or do 2 x 800. So I warmed up with a 2 mile run to the track. I was really careful running over the speed bumps in the parking lot after my clumsy move yesterday! On the track I hit first mile in 6:54, 2 seconds under goal pace. I ran a half mile easy recovery. Feeling pretty good, I hit a second mile repeat... in 6:54! Nice confidence builder. Plus my 400 splits were very even. I ran an even, comfortable pace. After another 1/2 mile recovery on the track, I ran a 2 mile cool down back to my house. Woo hoo!

No comments: