Thursday, May 22, 2008

Early to bed, early to rise....

I was scheduled for spin class this morning followed by a transition run. I hopped online last night at 7 pm (10 EST) to check and see if my guy won AI (he did!) so I wouldn't have to stay awake for 2 more hours to find out. But despite my going to bed extra-early, I still wasn't prepared for the 4:45 am wake-up call. I hit the snooze and sat on the edge of the bed for a moment. My legs still felt heavy from the long miles on Monday and Tuesday. I could hear my coach's voice echo in my head... it's better to go easy or not at all than do too much between your two IM races. I contemplated my options... sleep in an extra two hours and go straight to work, sleep in an extra hour and get a swim in before work, or drag my tired behind out of bed and go to spin class. I went with option #2. I reset my alarm and quickly fell back to sleep. I had this crazy dream that my sister and I were on a cruise ship that was travelling down a river which happened to be running through our old neighborhood. We were running backward on the ship, so it felt like we were running in place because the ship was moving forward. And it kept picking up speed so we were dragged farther down river. And we tried to run faster to get to the back of the ship to get off but we couldn't. And then... my alarm went off again. I turned it off. I crawled out of bed and got ready for my swim. When I stepped outside a cool breeze hit me. It was overcast and about 60 degrees. Rare for this time of year. For a moment I stood frozen, wanting to dash back upstairs and swap my swimsuit for my running shoes and hit the trail. But I talked myself out of it. You slept in today to give your legs a rest. Go to the pool for a nice recovery swim. If you feel up to it later you can run tonight. I hate to pass up opportunities to run in nice weather (Ha! cloudy and overcast is considered nice!) because you never know when it'll pop up again. But the pool is nice on days like today too because no one else will swim outside in the "cold" so I have it all to myself. So I swam, grabbed my grande skim latte and headed to work. Now it's raining. I have 2 hours left of work. 2 hours to decide if I'm going to head out for a run tonight. Part of me wants to run. The other part of me wants to lay on the couch and watch reruns of CSI on Spike. Stay tuned to find out... will our heroine drag her tired fabulous ass off the couch to run? Or will Grissom lure her away?

2 comments:

SkirtChaser said...

there are actually two of us that will swim in this weather in the outdoor pool! Did you forget about your super supportive, sweet better half?! HA!!

Janine said...

I am so glad I get to read your blog- know I'll be checking it daily! You are always an inspiration to me and you always get my tired butt moving. lov you