Saturday, November 10, 2018

Diary of an Ultraman: Day 10

Q:  What happens when you take a mountain girl and put her on the beach for a month?

A:  You watch her slowly unravel.

*******************

I feel like this is my undoing.  I am reaching a new breaking point.  A new low.  The irony is not lost on me.  I worked so hard to get here.  This was the goal for 18 months.  And I think I am on the brink of learning something completely amazing.  About myself.  About life.  About dreams, and vulnerability, and courage.  I just have to go through this gauntlet first.  To be forged in the fire. 

Today was triple run day.  A way to squeeze 19 miles into a day while also being forced to run on tired legs.  Aside from the couple of hours I was running, I was relaxing in the room, catching up on my new favorite show which is THE WORST show for me to be watching right now.... (A Million Little Things).  I cry through every episode.  Even before I came here and started crying through every workout.  And I attempted to rehydrate and eat between runs- though I swear I am perpetually dehydrated which makes me nauseous and not hungry.

I also got a chance to listen to a couple of really good podcasts today.  Michael Gervais interviewed Brene Brown which was exactly what I needed this morning.  My sour mood improved 20 minutes into my first run listening to their conversation.  And I listened to YogiTriathlete's interview with Julie Moss during my second run, and easy spin which made the hours of sweating more enjoyable.  I caught up on Serial season 3 during my 3rd run-- which I hate to admit, I'm not loving.  It makes me feel a little bit hopeless about our justice system.  I loved season one, and I enjoyed being challenged to think and consider other opinions besides my own in season two, and Sarah is a great story teller, but the stories in season 3 are a bit depressing.  If you're listening, I'd love to hear what you think- and what you thought about season one and two for that matter.  We discussed the ethics and sides of season two on our preview of the day one bike course last week. 

Other than that there's really nothing to report from today.  Tomorrow will be a challenging day but Monday is a REST day and I am *hoping* the start of taper.  I have a massage scheduled and I plan to sleep and drink coffee and eat.  And that is it.  I'm looking forward to moving into our rental house next week.  This hotel thing is getting really old.  Our room is directly above the pavilion where all the entertainment takes place (read:  weddings with loud stupid music until all hours of the night).  Even with a sound machine and ear plugs, you feel the bass in your chest which keeps you awake regardless of how much you drown out the actual singing.  I'm pretty sure I didn't sleep at all last night, which probably contributed to my mood today.  Tonight I'm going to try the noise-cancelling headphones and see if it's any better.  Though I'm not sure I have a suitable playlist on my ipod for sleeping.  I'm currently scouring Google playstore for sound apps.

4:15 am wake up call tomorrow.  I better start thinking about sleep. 

Aloha.


No comments: