Saturday, August 6, 2016

Tahoe Rim Trail Endurance Run: At the heart of #findingaloha

One of the things I love most about working with Hillary is that I can bring ideas to the table and she will give me a "yay" or a "nay" on whether or not they'll work into my training plan.  I've almost never received a "nay" -- she believes in gaining fitness through racing, thankfully, so I'm allowed and encouraged to race regularly throughout the season.  Obviously we try to be smart about what races I'm doing and where they fit in so as to maximize the meat of my plan.  

Pre Race!  Obviously cold for us Arizona girls.

Last fall I approached her with the idea of fitting in the Tahoe Rim Trail Endurance Run 55k into my July schedule.  She said yes, and even volunteered to enter the lottery herself.  On January 1, we both were accepted into the race.  At the time I imagined she'd win the race and be chilling at the finish line after a nice shower and lunch by the time I rolled in.  I did NOT imagine running side by side with her for 7.5 hours (at my pace).  Let me say, it was a blast!!  

Not quite the half way mark.  #trt100

We brought a couple of girlfriends along for the weekend and spent 90% of the time laughing.  (The other 10% of the time was spent sleeping).  What happens on girls weekend stays on girls weekend, so sorry... no details.  But it was very refreshing, and we enjoyed every second of our time in Lake Tahoe.  And sharing my favorite trail race with my friends was icing on the cake.  

Final aid station.  Had to get off my feet for 30 seconds.

For the first time I stuck around to witness the 100 mile finish and seeing the runners come through the final crew stop at mile 80 and into the finish line hours later solidified in my heart the desire for this particular race to one day be my first 100 miler.  

On the descent from Snow Valley Peak.

This year for me has been about finding joy and enjoyment (#findingaloha!) in everything I do-- appreciating the simple fact of being able to do the things I love.  Looking back, I think this pursuit has been really life-changing for me.  I've been accused of being pessimistic though I will always argue that though I am not an optimist, I see myself as a realist.  It's enough of a topic for it's own post, but after waking up for weeks on end feeling down on myself and down on life (last fall), actively choosing joy has been a huge part of my recovery and my success this season.  This also means that I have to recognize when something / someone in my life is not bringing me joy-- and I've been working to eliminate those things whether it's hiring someone to help with household chores, or unfollowing friends on social media who constantly post about politics, or getting rid of that toxic "friend" that you don't love but feel guilty about abandoning.  Life is too short.  Being in the mountains definitely brings my heart peace and joy.    

A little swim in chilly Lake Tahoe.

When we weren't running, we swam in the lake, ate at some unique eateries (#sassafrass) and just enjoyed the scenery.  Each of us girls is in a different phase in life.  Single vs. married.  Retired from professional racing vs. actively pursuing goals vs. training and racing for fun.  Too young for kids vs. decidedly no kids vs. in the trenches of family planning.  But together we can encourage, listen, laugh, cry, and just be there for each other.  These are the friendships that are forged through sport.  

The end of my racing season is quickly coming into view with the World Championships being 9 weeks away.  My training volume and intensity is reaching peak.  I am tired... a lot of the time.  I can no longer remember what's on my plan tomorrow or the next day, which is probably a good thing because when I look ahead it gives me anxiety.  

PR up Mt. Lemmon!!

Despite being tired, I am feeling stronger every day.  Last weekend we had a team smashfest in Tucson-- biking Mt. Lemmon and then racing in the pool.  I beat my previous best time up Mt. Lemmon, holding higher watts than I ever have and keeping up with teammates that I probably shouldn't be keeping up with.  And my times in the pool matched my previous best times for the workout.  I have a few more key workouts before I get a bit of rest for Ironman Coeur d'Alene in 2 weeks.  
A little team rivalry never hurts when racing!

If you missed my last post about meal planning, you can check it out here.  I am looking forward to sharing my plans for 2017 as there are some exciting plans on the horizon, but I'm not quite ready yet.  :-)  Soon!  

No comments: