Thursday, March 3, 2016

Running Season

When I sat down with Coach Hillary the morning after Ironman Arizona she gave me my marching orders for the next few months.  It's running season, she said.  We're going to run 5ks, 10ks, and some half marathons.  And by "we" she meant me.  And by run she meant fast.  Chasing PRs fast.

I scoured websites looking for race possibilities and sent her a list to pick from.  She chose a couple of 5ks, a 10k, and 3 half marathons.  My previous best times were from 5 years ago when I was solely run training- leading up to my Boston qualifying marathon races.  I was excited for the challenge... at first.

Then, a couple of weeks into training, I began to realize that my legs were not used to running fast.  And they were just not coming around no matter how many 200s and 400s I "sprinted" around the track.  I was convinced there was something wrong with me.  Even made an appointment for my annual physical so that my doctor could do some bloodwork and confirm that yes, I was deficient in XYZ and this was why I was so slow.

My first 5k was scheduled for my birthday weekend.  Two days before the race I came down with viral laryngitis.  I couldn't talk, let alone suck cold air past my throat so Coach told me I wasn't racing and ended up with an unexpected day off.  I slept a lot and by the following weekend I was lined up for another 5k.  I ran a 21:54, my second fastest 5k, and my second time under 22 minutes.  Not a PR but a good hard effort.

It's running season!  1st 5k!


The next weekend we threw in an impromptu reverse tri for charity, starting with a 5k and ending with a 400 m swim.  I was totally not feeling it that morning and ended up running a 22:30 for the run.  The rest of the race however was a blast.  We all got lost on the bike course and no one biked the same distance.  I ended up with 6 of the 10 miles I was supposed to bike before hopping in the pool.  I took the opportunity to cannonball into the pool as a friend of mine was finishing up the first of two sets of laps.  We swam the next set together (his second, my first) and as we approached the wall he grabbed hold of my feet to slow me down.  The only award I won that day was the "I had the most fun" award.

This is how you win the "I had the most fun" award.


My bloodwork came back normal, and coach swapped track workouts for hill sprints.  Slowly, I began to feel some life in my legs.  My easy run pace was a little faster.  I was still worried that this run project was going to backfire, but I know better than to second guess what Coach tells me to do.

Two weeks later, on January 9, I found myself driving with my #bff to Tucson for the Team SFQ reunion and University of Arizona Tricats Aquathon.  An 800 meter swim followed by 5k run.  With the slower swimmers starting first, I basically had 50 meters of clear swimming before I was required to start passing people.  And by passing people, I mean swimming over the top of people to get by them as we were swimming two directions in each lane before ducking under the lane line to start the next lap.  At some points there were two swimmers side by side heading each direction-- 4 abreast, in a lane that doesn't allow for 4 abreast swimming.  I was fine, but I could only imagine what the less confident swimmers were going through.  Sheer panic I would guess.

Hopping out of the water, we blasted through the 5k, me chasing Coach Hillary, and being chased by 3 of my teammates.  Afterwards we took a leisurely bike ride to lunch and dined on the best. pizza. ever.

Team SFQ!  Smashing!


The very next weekend I lined up for the PF Chang's Rock n Roll Phoenix Half Marathon, my first of 3 for the season.  I knew going in that I was no where near the shape I needed to be in to get a PR.  And I think I let that get into my head a little bit.  I picked a pace that I thought I could sustain and with Coach's blessing the plan was to hold pace and then pick it up the final 5k if I could.

I'm not going to lie.  My attitude during the race sucked.  DB decided to run with me at the last minute and he was so tired of listening to me whine and complain.  "Just shut up and run!" he kept telling me.  But I would have no part of it.  All I could think was how slow I was running and I was still having to fight for every second.  I swear it felt like I was running uphill for 12 of the 13 miles.  Finally with the finish line in sight, DB told me we could still make it in under 1:40 and I RAN.  I crossed the line in 1:39:52.  Far from a PR, but also my fastest in 3 years.

Two weeks later I drove 45 minutes, by myself, and lined up at the Phoenix Women's 10k.  I knew a couple people running the half marathon but they started ahead of me so I only saw them on course with a quick wave.  But sometimes it is good to go out and push yourself with no one watching or caring.  It's good to learn what motivates you when there are no cheerleaders.  I lined up front and center.  My only goal was sub- 45 minutes.  I've not run many 10k races, but I've never run under 45 minutes.

In the first 1/2 mile as things shook out, 2 young girls passed me.  As it turned out they were twin 13-year olds who are soccer players just finishing their first XC season.  I settled into a pace just behind them.  Normally kids go out hard and then die.  These two young ladies were professionals.  Their pace was rock solid from start to finish.  With a mile to go, one of the girls fell back and I caught up to her.  I told her we had less than a mile to go and she needed to GO NOW!  She picked up the pace and caught her sister and then the two of them kicked into the finish.  It was such a beautiful, inspiring thing to watch such young talented women and I was glad to have them pacing me.  I crossed the line in 44:16!

Phoenix Women's 10k Start

Another two weeks go by and I'm ready for half marathon number 2.  Having run 7:37 pace at PF Chang's Half Marathon, my goal was to run faster than that.  I was planning to target 7:20 pace.  As it turned out, the Lost Dutchman half marathon course was pretty hilly which made even pacing difficult.  I'd be flying downhill for a mile at 7:08 pace, and then climbing up at 7:40.  My friend running the 10k snagged this photo of us as I caught him with only a couple miles to go to the finish....

Catching DH at Lost Dutchman Half and 10k.


I ended up running 1:37:48, 2 minutes faster than PF Chang's and I felt fantastic the whole way.  I felt controlled, and was able to pick it up in the last couple of miles.  I was beginning to think that a PR was within reach, and not just a PR....

Me and the #bff after Lost Dutchman.
After Lost Dutchman I came down with the virus AGAIN.  This time the throat aspect only lasted 2 days, but my breathing was more affected.  I took it easy saving myself for the few remaining hard workouts I had before the final half of the season.  I nailed my mile repeats on the track and my final interval session.  I felt ready.  In my mind I thought 1:32 was totally doable.  

Sadly, my legs did not agree.  My final race of the season was the Phoenix Half Marathon.  I went out with the intention of holding 7 minute pace, but after 4 miles my pace had already slipped.  I felt like garbage from the start.  Legs like cement blocks.  

Heading to the finish line of the Phoenix Half Marathon


Somehow I managed to hang on and minimize the losses.  My easy PR turned into a fight to the finish and I ended up 1:35:39, for an 8 second PR.  I'm always hardest on myself and I know I have better in me.  But my husband, who is most often my voice of reason, reminded me that the last time I ran as fast as I have in the last 6 weeks was when I had devoted 8 months to building my run fitness.  I cobbled together a running season in less than 12 weeks (from start to finish!) and managed to run my fastest 10k and half marathon times ever.  

Running season!!

Now that the season has come to a bittersweet end I am very excited to get back on my bike and start working on my real goal.  The Ironman World Championship is less than 7 months away and I plan to be ready!!  Team HPB training camp kicks off one week from today and that will be the jump start to my triathlon training.  I am so ready to be back at it!!  I know some people need a little mental break, but I'm not one of those people.  I have been chomping at the bit for 12 weeks and counting.  


One addition to the pain cave... 


With the down time of running season we did have a few hours to start putting together my pain cave.  Now when I'm smashing sessions on the trainer, I will have many reminders of why I am doing what I do.  Enjoy this little video of our cave!






No comments: