Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Interview with Jennifer Wentzel: Prospective IM Athlete

Triathlon is a selfish sport.  Though relays exist, a majority of competitors race individually.  Against the clock, against their own best self, and against everyone else in the field.  As the sport grows in popularity, the level of narcissism increases.  Watching someone new to the sport tackle their first big race, or reach a new goal in training reminds me of how great the sport can be.  The innocence and joy they experience is infectious and keeps me motivated and inspired.

One such person is my Team HPB teammate, Jennifer Wentzel.  (Team HPB is the team of athletes coached by Coach Hillary Biscay and Coach Alyssa Godesky).  Jen is by no means new to endurance sports.  She actually thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail a couple of years ago (more on this later...).  But she is new to Ironman, and she will be tackling her first iron-distance triathlon this November at Ironman Arizona.

I got to know Jen over the last year just chatting over our team page.  Hiking the AT is on my bucket list and I was so intrigued by how someone my age made this incredible journey happen.  We have a lot in common.  She is an animal lover.  Her dog Georgy (aka: Bear) hiked the AT with her.  She works the night shift as a trauma-ICU nurse.  She is hard working, and maintains her night-shift schedule even on her off days which means that much of her training is done solo, and sometimes in the middle of the night.

When I finally met Jen in March at our team camp I discovered that she is also opposite of me in many regards.  She is soft spoken and laid back to my more boisterous, demanding nature.  She is fun, and quick to smile.  She never backed down from a challenge or looked in the least bit flustered (unlike myself who cried 3 times in the first hard workout...).

Last fall, I encouraged Jen to sign up for Ironman Arizona- she was ready to take on the next challenge and was deciding on a race.  It is a great course for a first time and selfishly, I'd get to watch her cross the finish line and vicariously live that moment again through her eyes.  Jen chose to sign up with the Ironman Foundation fundraising team which gives back to several charities within the community of each race.  (For example, Ironman Arizona will give to local animal shelters and youth athletic organizations in the Phoenix area.)  She wanted her experience with Ironman to be about more than just herself (this is sooo Jen).

I have fundraised on multiple occasions, once for the Alzheimer's Association (my grandfather was afflicted with this horrible disease) when I ran the Chicago Marathon and again for the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure.  Fundraising is a humbling experience.  It can be very intimidating, or embarrassing even, to ask people for money.  But I have been blown away by the generosity of friends and strangers alike when I have asked for donations.  People want to give.  We have the resources and often when we feel a connection to the person asking, or the cause itself, we don't hesitate to open our wallets.  This is how it is for me when I have people asking for support, and when I got to know Jen, I felt compelled and wanted to help.  I asked Jen if I could interview her and help get the word out about what she is doing and see if I can help her rake in the last few dollars that she needs to reach her goal

Me:  Tell me about yourself.  What's your background... sports history... how did you get involved in endurance sports? 

 Jen:  I'm originally from New Jersey and I grew up with 3 much older brothers in a sporty household. I played soccer and baseball from a very young age and added sports like field hockey and basketball as I got older.  I played field hockey through college and when I graduated I continued to run for enjoyment and to keep in shape.  I have never been a big racer- maybe a single race or max two a year.  My running was always just a solo adventure for myself- exploring neighborhoods and local trails.  

It wasn't until I met my friend Emily, who would later become my Appalachian Trail partner, that I discovered long distance trail running and triathlon.  We met at University of Virginia Medical Center as nurses and immediately realized we were simpatico.  We began running trails together and making up crazy workouts to challenge each other.  She had built a bike from a beautiful De Rosa steel frame that was too small for her, so she gave it to me so that she would have a partner to ride with.  Soon after that she convinced me to sign up for my first tri- the Patriot's Sprint Triathlon in Williamsburg, VA.  I ended up racing that and an olympic the year after before getting sucked into the ultra running trail scene for a few years.  

M:  How did you get started in triathlon?  When/ why did you decide to join Team HPB?   Why do you want to do an Ironman?  

J:  After my brief stint (my one sprint and one olympic tri in 2009-2010) I spent some time away from triathlon doing long distance trail running and then preparing for and thru hiking the Appalachian Trail in 2012-2013.  When I finished the trail I moved to California and realized I had landed in the perfect location to return to triathlon.  The weather is beautiful all year round, I had a great pool nearby and plenty of bike friendly roads to train on.  

I was working with my old coach who trained Emily and I for the AT for about 5 months getting ready for my first 70.3.  During that time I rediscovered Hillary's blog and became totally obsessed with it.  I went back and read every single entry from 2006 on and was so inspired by her journey and diligence.  She just has this amazing energy that even translates through writing.  I wrote her my first ever fan letter (not kidding) and she wrote back!  We emailed back and forth and she was willing to take a chance on a newbie and help me reach my goals and beyond.  



Jen with Coach Hillary and the team at Tri-Camp after tackling Mt. Lemmon.


Last year we really focused on getting through the 70.3 distance and by the end of the year I was so inspired by my teammates just crushing it that I knew I had to go for the full 140.6.  I never want to stop pushing myself and a full Ironman definitely seems like a good way to push my limits! 


I first heard about Ironman racing as a teenager and it sounded like a completely ridiculous, unattainable feat.  In my mind I somehow equated it to going to the Olympics in a sport.  It wasn't until I did my first marathon in my 20s that I even really thought about it again, though to be honest it still sounded completely unattainable.  It wasn't until a friend of mine signed up and raced Ironman Couer d'Alene in 2011 that I knew a real person who had completed the race.  I followed along with her training like a complete stalker, gleaning knowledge from everything she did.  During her race I was working at the hospital but had the Ironman tracker up at work the entire time. I got the whole nursing staff to cheer along with me, ecstatic when she made her goal of going sub-14 hours.  At this point I had done only one sprint and one olympic, but it was the first moment that I thought "Ok, this might actually be a possibility."  It would be another 2.5 years before I was able to get back to training for tri's, but from that moment in 2011 it was on my bucket list and it never left the back of my mind. 


M:  How is training going?  What do you like best/ least?  Is there anything about IM training/ lifestyle that surprises you?  

J:  Training is going well overall.  I definitely have exercise ADD and have always made sure to mix things up as much as possible while still pushing towards specific goals.  Triathlon has fit so perfectly with that mentality.  With three different sports and the variety of challenges Hillary gives me I am never bored. 

I love having breakthroughs come out of no where after having struggled through a workout a few sessions in a row- it shows all my efforts are really working even if it takes time to see results.  I think the thing I like least is having to juggle priorities at times.  I am so in awe of the people who do every single workout on their plan day in and day out, but I am not that person.  News flash: I miss workouts.  Not a lot, but it happens.  I try not to berate myself too much and just move on, but sometimes family or work comes first and I just try to focus on the next workout and keep my spirits up.  Brett Sutton wrote this great blog about age-groupers being incredibly hard on themselves that really helped me refocus and change my thinking a little bit.  But I have still done a 4am "make-up" workout :) 


M:  What is Team IMF?  Why did you enroll in this program?  

J:  TEAM IMF is The IRONMAN Foundation’s fundraising triathlon team. Basically triathletes sign up for a specific race and then commit to fundraising $3000 for The IRONMAN Foundation's Community Fund.  The Fund gives money to local nonprofits in the community the race is held.  This has been a totally new experience for me, having never fundraised before, but I loved the idea of giving back to the community and getting a chance to race IM Arizona in the process! 

Showing off the Team IMF kit!  IMAZ here she comes!

M:  So my favorite tidbit about you is that you thru-hiked the AT.  This is on my bucket list and am completely in awe of your accomplishment.  What made you want to attempt this?  Why do you think you were successful in completing the trail?  Are there any lessons that you took from that experience into your life, and how does that influence how you approach IM training?  

J:  When I met my trail partner in 2009 we immediately realized we had a similar background prior to nursing.  I had been a backpacking guide for 5 years and she had been a rock climbing guide and backpacking/glacier crossing guide in Alaska.  We had extensive outdoor resumes and we often talked about her lifelong dream to hike the Appalachian Trail and mine to hike the Pacific Crest Trail.  After a few years of bringing it up regularlyl we both hit a point in or lives and careers that we realized "Wow, we could really do this!"  

We started planning while she was living in Germany and then we both moved to Tucson to live and train together for about 4 months before we hit the trail.  We did a ton of long hikes and trail runs,  planned by our coach Wendy Mader, along with a lot of strength work to get ready to climb all those mountains. I think our having a lot of experience on extended expeditions really helped us mentally because we knew what we were getting ourselves into.  

Physically we were able to prepare ourselves to immediately start knocking out 20+ mile days starting day 1, which was huge.  When setbacks came (and many did!)  we were able to stick together as a team and move forward.  I know a lot of people hike the trail alone which is awesome, but the bond we shared and the way we pushed each other through those 6 months was incredibly important to my hike.  Plus having my dog there kept morale super high because he is adorable and always ready to either defend us or smother us with kisses!

As far as lessons I took from the experience...I think enduring even when things are not going at all like I planned was really crucial.  It also really renewed my faith in humanity.  There is a saying "the trail provides", but it is because of the amazing people who support the trail and those who hike it.  We had endless trail magic, from free rides to the hospital and vet to snacks appearing on the trail just when we were out of food (this happened multiple times!).  As a trauma nurse I see the bad side of people more than I would like, so seeing such generosity and kindness was so uplifting.   

Jen on the AT.


M:  As trauma/ ICU nurse, how do you balance work, training, life?  Does training positively or negatively impact your work in any way?  

J:   I am a ICU nurse, specializing in Surgical-Trauma ICU.  I work night shift (7pm-7am), which brings it's own unique challenges to training.  Day to day it actually works really well for my training because getting up at 3pm feels a lot easier than getting up at 3am would to get my training in!  It also matches my natural schedule, which is a night owl.  The problem comes with racing because I have to switch my schedule around a be ready to go at 7am (when I'm usually going to bed!)  I am learning how to balance it, but it is tough on my body to switch back and forth.  

I think training mainly positively impacts my work.  After I workout I feel healthy, strong and clear-minded.  I feel like I am practicing what I preach as well- if I wasn't working out and eating healthy it is hard to tell other people to do so!  

I have had to find a balance with my work day workouts though- I noticed if I do over 2 hours of training before work I hit a tipping point in which I don't get enough sleep and I'm overtired at work.  When you are titrating life-sustaining drips, monitoring very sick patients and making critical decisions it is important to be awake and alert!  Hillary has done a great job balancing that for me and keeping track of my schedule so I can crush myself in training when I have a few days off and do more recovery or intervals when I am on a long stretch of work.  

Gettin' it done on the trainer.

M:  How is fundraising going?    

J:  Fundraising is tough!  I am terrible at asking people for money and hate badgering which makes me ill suited for this!  However, what TeamIMF is doing by giving back to these communities that host these huge events is amazing.  When I read through all the different charities they contribute I knew I wanted to be a part of it.  I am a big animal lover and they give to local shelters and rescues.  A big chunk of the fundraising also goes to youth athletic organizations which I think is an awesome way to give back and encourage kids to be active and even get involved with triathlon themselves!

M:  With 6 months to go, are you feeling prepared?  Do you have specific goals for race day?  

J:  Right now I am focused on a 70.3 I have coming up next month- Challenge Williamsburg.  I have two main goals this year- a specific time goal for the 70.3 distance and to finish IMAZ, hopefully under 13 hours.  I feel like I have a lot of endurance work to get up to the distances required of the full.  Most of my current work revolves around the half distance and getting speedy at that level so it will be a shift to try to do it all for twice as long!

First ever podium finish!  Great start to the 2015 season for Jen!


M:  Is this experience different from what you expected?  If so, how?

J:  Yes.  It is harder!!!  No specific workout is harder than I dreamed, but the culmination of so much work so consistently over time.  Before this past year and a half I worked out, but nothing near this extent.  If I was really tired I would take a day off, or maybe run 30 minutes and was good.   No longer!  It has been a big mental change to learn how to keep motivated and keep pushing as the days, weeks, months go by.  Luckily, having such an inspiring team and coach helps me a TON with that.  Also, seeing results and watching my times drop and my strength increase really helps drive me forward.  I even have my goal 70.3 times written on my bathroom mirror to remind me of what I am working for every day! 

M:  Do you have any mantras that get you through difficult sessions?  

J:  YES!  Oh my, I have so much positive self talk to get me through sessions.  When I have to do my swim TT I literally stand at the end of the pool staring down the lane for 30 seconds and pump myself up.  Sometimes there is singing involved (especially if the pool is empty!) and mostly I just tell myself it is going to hurt but the effort is what will make me faster and stronger down the line.  The pain is temporary!  When I was hiking and when I'm running I sometimes say "Strength, Endurance, Power" over and over again and I feel like I can kick any trail/ run's butt!

Jen with Bear.  

M:  Someone once told me in regards to the marathon, you're either one and done or you're hooked for life.  I have found the same to be true of Ironman racing.  Which category do you think you will fall into?  and why?

J:  This is a tough one, having never raced an Ironman yet, but I can definitely say that I am hooked to triathlon for life now.  The tri community is full of crazy, hilarious, endurance people who tend to be a bit obsessive about things and I LOVE it.  I tend to go all in to things I'm super passionate about and having finally found a sport that fits my exercise ADD, my love of travel, and my lifestyle.  I am hooked.  So far I love going balls to the wall during olympic distances and testing my endurance with the 70.3s, so I can't wait to see what the full distance is like!

M:  I entered the sport of triathlon with my (now) husband.  We made a bunch of friends who were also racing IM.  After a few years, everyone moved on to different endeavors and we noticed that we were the only ones still racing.  We miss them so much!  Joining Team HPB has been a huge boost to me because I feel like I have a family, a support network of like-minded athletes who cheer me on, make me laugh, and share the pain of training and racing, goals accomplished and missed.  What has been your experience with Team HPB and how do you feel your experience would be different if you were training under your own plan?  

J:  OMG TeamHPB has been AMAZING!!   As someone who trains almost exclusively on my own, I can not say enough how important the support I have gotten from the team has been.  I don't have any local tri friends and though my boyfriend is an incredible race sherpa, he is not interested in triathlon for himself.  So getting those nightly cheers from Hillary after she reads my workoutlog and hearing the ups and downs of my teammates training and racing is so motivating for me.  When I am really struggling through a workout or even contemplating not doing one I swear I have a little voice in the back of my head that says "Well Hillary would just get it done" or "Mary would crush this workout or die trying".  I'm not above using some peer pressure to get it done :)  Though I have to admit meeting all you Team HPB rockstars at camp in March was a little intimidating as a tri newbie, but on the whole it just makes me want to train so much harder so I have a better chance of keeping up next time!

M:  What's your favorite food?  

J:  Pizza!!!  Thin crust, thick crust, doesn't matter.  If you throw in breadsticks I'm over the moon!  (Girl after my own heart!!!)




Thank you for reading and getting to know Jen.  She has been an inspiration to me, knowing how dedicated and hard-working she is.  I am so excited for November to hang out with her again and watch her tackle IMAZ!  I need 100 people to click HERE and donate $15.  That's it!  If you feel inspired to give more please do so, every dollar helps!!  The donation is entirely tax-deductible and you'll be helping to support non-profits within MY community here in Phoenix.  THANK YOU for your generosity!!  I'll share updates from Jen along the way and I encourage you to check out her personal blog.  Aside from the AT, she has done several other incredible hikes!

No comments: