Thursday, October 30, 2014

A Few of My Favorite Things

Fall.  Not Arizona fall.  But Fall fall.  Midwest fall.  Crisp air.  Football games.  Fires burning.  Thunderstorms.  Curling up on the couch with a good book and a blanket.  Running through leaves that crunch underfoot.  Hot apple cider.

Pizza.  I am not sure I would want to live in a world without pizza.  New York style.  Slight crunch to the crust.  Heavy with tomato and basil.  Perfectly round globs of real mozzarella cheese.  

My family.  When pressed most people probably say they like their family.  Love, actually.  But my family?  My family is freaking awesome.  I mean, it's like we're related or something.  They are a spirited, loving, life-living, fun-seeking, we-only-live-once bunch and when we're together you never know what's going to happen.

Hard workouts.  Long, hard workouts.  Short, hard workouts that make me feel like I am going to die.  Intervals.  Heavy breathing and rapid heart rate.  Gasping for air at the end of an interval.  Workouts that I have anxiety about for days in advance.  Workouts that I question if I can hit the goal, and then celebrate completely, whole-heartedly when I do.  Workouts that make me fall asleep when my head hits the pillow at night.  Workouts that I feel in my muscles for days.  Workouts that make me ravenously hungry.  Workouts that make me want to puke.

Christmas tree lights.  And instrumental Christmas music.  Think Trans-Siberian Orchestra.  Dark winter evening.  Quiet house.  Twinkling lights and the smell of dinner in the crock pot.

Running before dawn.  No light but the stars and a few street lanterns.  No sounds except maybe the crickets.  Pitch black.  I can hear my own breathing and foot steps.  Running for hours and ending up at home just as the sun is coming up and the neighborhood is stirring.  Having that time just for me.

Coffee.  The smell of coffee.  The way the coffee coats my cup when it is perfectly brewed in my French press.  Coffee enjoyed with my sister while we solve all the world's problems.  Coffee with a good book.

Kittens.  Purring, playful, perfect balls of fur.  Growing up to be cats.  My cats.  My cats that greet me when I come home and snuggle on my lap at night.

Exploring new trails.  Having no time limit.  Just running or hiking in a new direction to see where it takes me.  I once hiked the Clear Creek Trail in the Grand Canyon solo.  My family was napping in the bunk room at Phantom Ranch.  I had the trail to myself on a warm sunny day.  It was peaceful and exhilarating.   Once on New Year's Eve I wanted to run 18 miles to make it over 1500 miles for the year.  I went to my favorite park and just ran.  I explored trails I'd never run before with no care for time, just the miles.  I started with a full 3 liters of water in my pack and turned back when I had drank more than half.

Rainy days.  Rainy days when I have nothing to do but open a window, curl up on the couch with a blanket and a good book.  Rainy days when the weather is just a little bit chilly.  Rainy days when I get to run in the rain!

Football games.  Swimming.  Swimming and having the pool to myself.  Swimming with my training partner and challenging each other.  Reading.  Cooking.  Eating!  Racing.  Dreaming about new races.  Planning.  Planning for races.  Planning vacations.  Planning the future.  Reaching a new PR.  Running a new distance.

Sharing some of my favorite things with my favorite people!


No comments: