Thursday, August 7, 2014

Running on High

On recent back to back weekends I was fortunate to be able to tackle 2 races at altitude, something that I enjoy and is good for pushing my aerobic endurance to its limits.

Mountain Man Sprint Triathlon

Mountain Man Events hosts several triathlons in Flagstaff during the hottest parts of our summer here in the valley of the sun.  It's so nice to escape the heat, even for a day, and race in a cooler, overcast climate.  I have raced the Mountain Man Half every year for the past 5 years, but I've never raced the sprint distance which is held a month earlier.  When I emailed my coach a list of local races, she selected the sprint race and I (though somewhat surprised) was happy to oblige.

Swim start

 Mountain Man Sprint turned out to be a perfect race to blow out the cobwebs of my endurance laden body.  As a sprint distance (750 m swim/ 12 mile bike/ 3-ish mile run) it is all out from the get-go, no pacing involved.  My husband wasn't racing but was there as my one man cheering section.  When the gun went off, I took off as fast as I could sustain in the water.  Swimming at elevation is a little like breathing through a straw, but if you can remind yourself that it's just the thinner air and you are, in fact, not dying, you can still push yourself quite hard.  He told me later that within a short amount of time I had several body lengths lead over the next woman.  By the time I hit the first turn buoy, I glanced back and couldn't see anyone near me.  I swam as fast as I could and was thrilled (shocked!) to come out of the water in just over 12 minutes, about 2 minutes ahead of the next girl.

Having sprayed my limbs and wetsuit generously with TriSlide before getting in the water, I whipped my wetsuit off in no time.  Grabbed my bike and ran out of transition as if being chased.  (Technically I was being chased...)

Ready to roll.
The bike course is an out and back on relatively flat ground, but with a little bit of a head wind on the way out I was still required to put forth an effort.  After the turn around I calculated that the next woman was at least 2 minutes behind me still.  A good lead, but not one that I was super comfortable with.  I knew I'd have to keep the pressure on.  Rolling back into T2 everyone was excited to shout at me that I was in first.  Yay!  A first for me!  In and out, and back onto the run course in just over a minute.

On the way out my first 2 miles clocked were under 7:30 minutes.  I was happy with this, especially at 7,000 ft of elevation.  I kept running hard, and after I made the turnaround I was checking the faces of all the girls behind me to see if there was anyone who looked like they were running comfortably.  Thankfully I didn't see anyone who seemed to be bombing through the field.

Approaching the finish!

At the awards ceremony an hour or so later I was awarded my (first ever?) 1st overall win!  And I got to take home the BEAR trophy!  There were trophies for 1st male/ female and 1st masters male/ female.  The other 3 trophies were sculptures of human form.  Mine was a bear.  Bear is a nickname I've had since birth so I was beyond excited about my new precious.  

Overall women's win! 

Tahoe Rim Trail Endurance Run

After a few more days of work we were off again to Carson City, NV, the staging area for the Tahoe Rim Trail Endurance Runs.  I had decided after my disaster at IM Texas that I would drop from the 50 miler to the 55 km run to minimize the recovery time I would need post race.  With IM Wisconsin looming in just a few weeks I didn't want to be out of commission for as long as it would take me to recover from a tough 50 miler.  I was kind of excited about taking on the shorter distance as I wanted to push myself more than I have in the past at this race.

I wasn't nervous at all until race morning.  I think just arriving back at Spooner Lake park I began to realize how much this was going to hurt, even if it was only 34 miles.  Everyone's spirits were high and I was happy to be back on my favorite trails.  My goal was 8 hours, which I thought was very doable as long as I held it together.  If anything went awry, it would be a long walk to the finish.

Checking out Spooner Lake


I knew this course intimately.  I knew when I was going to hurt.  When I was going to be walking more than running.  I knew when I'd need to fill my hydration pack.  I was ready.  I ran more over the 34 miles than I've ever run before on this course which I was so happy about.  In the past, by the time I get back to Tunnel Creek facing the final 15 miles I am so trashed that the climb from TC to Hobart nearly does me in.  I've hallucinated in that stretch.  I've been in so much pain that I literally hobble from one downed tree to the next looking for the next log to sit on for a minute to give my aching legs a break.

I knew that I would have half as many miles on my legs this time that if all went well I could push myself through that stretch and on to the finish.  I started conservatively on the first 5 mile climb of the day, which was basically a mile after starting at Spooner.  I ran as much as I could when the incline was gentle.  There were definitely short stretches that I walked, but I felt like I ran quite a bit of this section.  Reaching the first aid station I was still feeling good but knew I had a lot of climbing ahead of me.  Leaving Hobart there is a good climb for at least a mile or so (maybe 1.5?) and then a nice gradual descent through the boulder fields heading into Tunnel Creek.

I still had plenty of water so I cruised on through and headed down, down, DOWN the hill into the Red House Loop.  For some reason, I don't remember this descent being quite so long or quite so steep, but it was soooo long and soooo steep.  I guess that speaks to the fact that I am in triathlon shape, but not necessarily my best trail running shape.  Once I reached the bottom of the descent which was well over a mile, I settled into a nice cruisy stretch my legs pace.  There was a little bit of climbing mid loop, but mostly a nice steady run pace.  I had hoped to make it back up the climb to Tunnel Creek before filling water but as luck would have it, I was almost out by the time I reached the Red House.  It was quite a bit hotter that day than it's been in the past.  I debated waiting, but thought better of it.  Now I had a full liter and half on my back for the climb out.  Ugh!  On a side note... I love the Red House Loop.  Partly for the insanity of the descent/ ascent and partly for the water crossings!  We had 3 water crossings that were not quite knee deep and I always smile to myself watching people try to pick their steps around them.  I just go charging right through the middle of them.  I have found that the cold water is a nice relief for my feet, and my feet are generally dry again within a mile so no harm done.

I paused at Tunnel Creek long enough to dump rocks out of one shoe from the ascent then it was on to the incline back to Hobart.  It was rough, and I hurt, but mentally I kept my act together and power hiked as fast as I could till I got to the top and the mile-ish run back to the aid station.  I topped off my hydration pack and took off again toward Snow Valley Peak (SVP).  The last climb of the day!

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the climb felt.  I remember in the past walking the entire 3 miles to SVP.  This time, I was running quite comfortably, wondering when the climb was going to start.  Soon enough I emerged from the woods above the treeline and began the last mile uphill to the aid station.  The Snow Valley Peak aid station is manned by one of the local Boyscout troops.  They do an amazing job and take our safety and comfort very seriously.  They must have binoculars or something, but they know each runner by name before we even get close to the aid station.  And they send one of the boys out to meet each person, offering to fill packs and bottles and retrieve food.  I was set to cruise on through with plenty of water left for the final miles, but tossed back a cup of cold coke for good measure.

Tahoe Rim Trail


My husband, who needed to get his own long run in that day, had run backwards on the course up to SVP.  We started down the hill together with him a few yards behind me.  We ran this way for several miles, with DB dropping off the back a little during any technical bits (he doesn't usually run trails, and does not love the steeper downhills).  When we were down to the last couple of miles, I told him he needed to get moving so he would be at the finish line when I got there.  The last 1.5 miles is flat-ish, so he took off ahead of me and disappeared quickly into the woods.

I could hear the music and the party atmosphere at the finish nearly the entire last 2 miles.  It seemed to take me forever to get there even though it was really only 20 minutes.  Soon, I was across the finish and couldn't wait to sit down.  I always find it ironic how I can feel so good running for 34 miles, but the minute I stop and the blood stops moving through my legs I want to absolutely die.  It's all very dramatic.  I wanted my photo by the finish line banner, but stopping for 20 seconds (after working hard for 7.5 hours) to take the picture, my blood pressure dropped and everything started to go black.  A medical volunteer helped me into the med tent where I sat for a minute and collected myself, drinking a bit of coke and ice water.

Running into the finish:  7:39:01


After a LONG walk back to the car (that mile felt like 50) we loaded up just as the sky began to turn dark with storm clouds.  I wanted to hang out at the finish, but my legs hurt so badly and I was so hungry, so I begged my husband to drive me back to Carson City for some food.

On Sunday, we lazed around for most of the morning.  We drove around the lake, stopping to swim for a bit which felt great on the legs.  We finished driving the loop, and just as we were cruising through South Lake Tahoe the sky opened up and we nearly didn't make it back to Carson City as the roads were beginning to flood.  I couldn't help but think of the 100 milers who were still out there running.  Would I be tough enough to battle through the storms for my buckle?  I hope so.

In talking with a friend about the race, and about when I am going to do my first hundred, I said that I knew I wanted Tahoe Rim Trail to be my first.  I know I could find an easier course, something more beginner friendly, but I also know that for me, TRT is a calling.  It is spiritual.  Being out there, running through the woods in this beautiful place... I know it is meant to be.  One day, I will tackle the 100 miler.  Every day until then, I will dream of being back on the trail, running through my favorite forest, breathing the fresh mountain air.    

To obtain the air that angels breathe, you must (come) to Tahoe.  - Mark Twain  

No comments: