Friday, June 28, 2013

Trail Runner Blog Symposium: What constitues an unfair advantage?

What constitutes an "unfair advantage" in a trail race, and what—if anything—should be done to even the playing field?

The topic rolled into my inbox from Trail Runner Magazine along with some related links to discussions on pacers in ultramarathons.  Nice, I thought, another controversial topic.  Though I thoroughly enjoyed reading all the stories last month of people who inspire, I was ready to hear some debate again. 

I've run many trail races, ranging in distance from 5k to 50 miles.  I aspire to one day join the ranks of 100-mile finishers.  Every race has it's own set of rules and regulations.  As a racer, it is my responsibility to understand the rules and abide by them.  For most races, it's easy to read the information provided by the race director on the race website.  Important things are generally outlined in detail.

Can you use headphones?  Are pacers allowed?  Where are pacers allowed to run- in front of the racer or behind them?  At what point in the race are pacers allowed to jump in?  Do I have to follow the marked path, or can I cut switchbacks (as is legal in European racing)?  From whom can a runner receive aid?  And where can that aid occur?  What are the time cutoffs?   

Many races, particularly the longer distance ones, have pre-race meetings during which the race director covers specifics on the course as well as rules that the runners are required to follow.  It is my opinion that an unfair advantage constitutes a racer taking it upon themselves to NOT abide by the rules of their given race.  They gain an advantage by cheating, disregarding the rules.   

Let me use the Tahoe Rim Trail Ultra as an example because I have raced it twice and am familiar with the rules (which happen to be very clearly stated on their website).  At the TRT, safety runners are allowed after the 50 mile checkpoint for the 100 mile event.  Crew are allowed at Diamond Peak (mile 30 and 80) as well as the start/ finish line (mile 50).  Runners may receive aid from crew within 100 meters of a fully stocked aid station.  Safety runners must run behind the runner and may not carry any fuel/ gear for the runner (also known as muling).  Safety runners are to ensure the safety of the runner.  So they may suggest that the runner take in fuel or water, but they cannot physically hand them something outside of an aid station.  At TRT safety runners are specifically not called 'pacers' because they are not allowed to set the pace - which would require running in front of the racer.  TRT discourages the use of headphones.  Though they still allow runners to use them, they are absolutely not allowed within 1/4 mile before or after an aid station.

So what should be done if rules are broken?  In my opinion, immediate disqualification.  In Ironman racing there are different levels of penalties.  Some penalties incur a brief stop to sign in at a penalty tent.  Others require a 4 minute time penalty served on course.  And others result in immediate disqualification.  I think if we want to enforce rules, and make things fair across the board, disqualification is the answer.  Many racers don't care enough about serving a time penalty.  But remove them from the race entirely, and they might think twice about believing they are above the rules.

When reading through some of the debate that took place on Trail Runner's Facebook page, I found it very ironic how many people were against pacers or safety runners being allowed, but not one person made mention of the use of headphones. 

Personally, I hate running with music.  I would love for its use to be banned in all races.  In many trail environments I believe it is downright dangerous not to be able to hear wildlife, but in a racing situation I find it extremely frustrating to find myself yelling "ON YOUR LEFT" after casually asking to pass someone only to realize (after the 5th attempt) that they have ear phones in and can't hear me.  And I can personally attest to the fact that you can hear a pissed off rattlesnake long before you'll ever see him on the trail.  Imagine if I couldn't hear him cause I have music blaring in my ears...

Do I have an issue with pacers or safety runners?  No.  I think it's one of the fun, unique things about our sport.  In a 100 mile event, a racer may be out on course for anywhere from 18-36+ hours depending on the time cutoff.  And if you happen to be racing a smaller event, it's very possible that you will be entirely alone for a good chunk of that time.  In the two times I've raced at TRT, I've been completely alone on the trail after mile 12.  Yes, I might pass someone or be passed, but I was alone in my race outside of the company of the aid stations.  I didn't mind it.  Part of the joy of trail running is the solitude and being one with nature.  But I think one of the things people love most about trail running, and specifically ultra running, is the feeling of community that builds amongst participants.  Being able to share your experience with others makes your experience more meaningful, and that includes the family and friends who've supported you in training.   





No comments: