Friday, July 6, 2012

Independence Day Recipe

I had very grand visions of spending all day on the trails for the 4th of July holiday.  Well, maybe not all day, but at least 18 miles worth.  Instead I went to bed late on Tuesday and slept in till after 6 AM and was so sore I could barely crawl out of bed.  So I decided to ditch the run and hop on my bike instead. 

I've been working with Endurance Rehabilitation off and on since 2006 and weekly for the last 18 months just for injury prevention and maintenance.  And it never fails.  Just when I start thinking how strong and fit I am, my physical therapist changes my routine on me... and I'm sore again like I've never worked out before in my life.  Tuesday morning (my standing appointment time) saw 4 new exercises introduced to my core program. 

My favorite new exercise involves placing an elastic band around my wrists, and my feet on a wheeled cart.  I then have to walk (on my hands) in plank position, keeping my feet directly in line with my hips.  I walk forward and backwards.  I scoffed when I saw the assistant demonstrate the exercise.  What exactly does this work, I thought.  And then I got on the board.  Hello, abs!  But I think it was the two quad/ adductor moves that did me in and kept me from running. 

After our bike ride and swim (in the rain!!) we lounged at home enjoying the unseasonably cool weather.  For dinner we barbecued, cause what else do you do for food on July 4th?  We opted to make an angel food cake for dessert instead of apple pie as it is a (slightly) healthier option. 

When I cook I have a general idea of what I'm hungry for and then usually throw it all together, rarely measuring things out.  When I bake, I follow a recipe.  Cooking is an art.  Baking is science.  But even when you bake, you can add some personal touches.  Here's how I spiced it up:

Angel Food Cake with Cinnamon Apple Topping
I followed the recipe from America's Test Kitchen's cookbook for the Angel Food Cake.  In the step where vanilla is added to the egg white mixture, I also added a teaspoon of orange extract, just to give it a little something extra.  Orange zest and a bit of fresh squeezed juice would also work.  I baked the cake as directed and let it cool. 

When we were ready for dessert, I peeled, cored and thinly sliced 3 small apples from our local organic farm (Desert Roots Farm) where I have a weekly share of fresh produce.  I sauteed the apples in a drizzle of olive oil from The Olive Mill.  Once they began to soften, I added a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar and a few teaspoons of cinnamon and let it caramelize.  When the sugar melts it forms a sauce and when it starts to thicken it's done.  I took it off the stove top and spooned it over my slice of cake and garnished with chopped pecans.  Delicious! 

Angel food cake is so light and airy, and it reminds me of my grandma who baked angel food cake for all of our birthdays growing up.  She has been gone for 19 years next month which makes me feel really old, but also reminds me of how special she was because there are so many memories of my childhood that include her. 

We're halfway through 2012, can you believe it?!  What goals did you start the year with?  How many have you accomplished?  Where do you want the rest of the year to go?  Enjoy your freedom!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, I just finished reading your blog about last year's 50 mile Tahoe Rim Ultra. It totally made me cry. I am doing the race this year and it will be my first 50 miler (I completed the Bulldog 50k last year). I had an amazing race and fell in love with the doing trail races. Hopefully this race will be just as wonderful and I so appreciate reading your entry. Good Luck with all of your adventures!

Sincerely,
Tamera Brown

PS. I am from AZ...spent most of my life in Phx and then lived in Tucson for 10 yrs before moving to LA six years ago.

FindingKona said...

Tamera- I don't know if you'll see this comment but I'm running the 50 again this year. Look for me on Friday in Carson or before we start on Saturday. I'd love to meet a fellow runner! You can't miss me- I'm the girl with the shaved head. Good luck! You will LOVE TRT!!!