Monday, July 30, 2012

Ain't Nothin' Gonna Break-a My Stride: TRT Ultra from a Different Perspective

I chatted with my lil' sis after our experience at the Tahoe Rim Trail 50 Mile Endurance Run.  Since we entered the race with different goals and expectations I thought it would be a fun comparison to share some of her thoughts on the day.  I sent her a list of interview questions and asked her to contemplate and respond.  Here's what she had to say... 

Q.  What were your fears and expectations leading up to the 2012 TRT 50 Mile Endurance Run? 

A.  Since my epic failure last year, dropping out at mile 30, I had fallen into a pattern of self doubt and depression.  That was my first time DNF-ing... and because it was an epic race, it became an epic failure.  I knew I needed to tackle at least one 50 mile loop of the TRT to move forward, but now the stakes were higher.  I tried hard to push aside negative thoughts, but every so often the thought of "what if I don't make it... again?" popped into my head.  

My training this year didn't feel like enough, just as last year, however my mental state was leagues better.  Long story short, I was not in a good mental place last year in general in my life, and it carried over into the race affecting my confidence level.  I vowed this year that the only way I was not finishing was if they had to pry my unconscious body off the course.  (TRT Soundtrack, song 1:  Ain't nothin' gonna break a my stride...)  

I only had one expectation:  FINISH.   

Q.  What was your race plan, and how did you feel you executed?

A.  I had planned to take it out nice and slow.  I tend to get excited and take off at the start... this has been my undoing in some marathons and I end up with ridiculous positive splits.  My plan was one foot in front of the other, break up the race into sections between aid stations, and stay on top of hydration/ nutrition.  I think I executed my plan.  I kept forward progress and never got behind in my nutrition or hydration.  This was a huge improvement over last year.

Q.  What aspects of the course were more difficult than you expected?  Easier?

A.  There were a lot more people at the start this year than last.  I'm not small or dainty where I can easily pass people on single track trail which is what you have for roughly 5 miles shortly after the start.... that's where my sis seemed to excel.  I don't like the feeling of holding someone back, and that's exactly what I was doing.  I tried for a while to keep up, pass people, and run portions with my sis, but it was more frustrating than anything.  

Every so often I'd call out to her, but after a while, I stopped.  She definitely helped me get through my demise of last year (Red House Loop) and I momentarily had a scare when she was taking off out of Tunnel Creek without me, but in the end, I was glad the pressure was off and I could run (let's be honest, walk/ hike) my own race.

I claim it was the cup of beer at Bull Wheel, but the passage between Bull Wheel and Diamond Peak was WAY easier this year.  I remember last year, hating every step, bemoaning my kankles that appeared, and waiting to reach the lodge so I could stop.  This year, I talked to people, had a smile and just overall enjoyed this section.  I did run quite a bit of it and had that "I feel free" feeling... weeeeee!!  When I turned out onto the road into DP, my Safety Savior was waiting for me, and I was so glad to see her!

I was pleasantly surprised by Diamond Peak.  It was definitely tough, steep, hot and a potential breaking point in the race... but I had less trouble mentally there than I did later in the hike to Snow Valley Peak.  Don't get me wrong, I think more profanity flew out of my mouth those two miles than the other 18 that followed, but mentally I was prepared for it.  (Thanks, Iowa, for being in the 90s so I could train!)  

After Diamond Peak there was definitely a sense of relaxation... I made it through the toughest part, right?  For me... wrong.  The hike from Hobart to Snow Valley Peak was mentally draining for me... beautiful, but draining.  It's essentially the final set of climbs of the race.  Thank goodness for KM, my safety runner/ motivator/ therapist/ candy shop/ comedian.  At one point going to SVP, half way up yet another switchback, I stopped, turned to her and declared, "I'm over this."  She stood behind me, let me gather my thought (note:  single thought, not plural by mile 41.5), and I turned and started up again.  I can't thank her enough and I'm not sure if she realized the effects of last year or what it meant for me to finish this year.  She was an awesome, exemplary safety runner.  

We got within a mile of the aid station.  I know this because the boy scouts put out a sign, and it felt like we should have already been there.  It caught me off guard that we were so "far" away after all the time that had gone by.  Again, I declared my feelings on the 1 f-ing mile to go, this time shutting down and starting to tear up a little.  My first ultra, this happened at about mile 34... so I guess making it to mile 42 is progress.

Q.  What made you more successful this year in your quest to conquer the TRT ultra?

A.  Mentally, I wasn't going to stop.  I had my fears, but ultimately I made the choice and didn't look back.  I greeted Diamond Peak with a smile this year and kept to my plan.  (TRT Soundtrack, Song 2:  I am titanium!)

Q.  Would you do it again?

A.  Today, I'd say no.  But I also said I just wanted to do 1 marathon back in 2001 and now I'm half way through the 50 States Challenge... never say never.

Q.  How will this help with your training for the upcoming Javalina Jundred?

A.  Wake up call:  TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN!!!!!  And get a good blister kit. 

Q.  What is your overall impression of the event, now that you're a week out?

A.  It was a beautiful hike.  I learned a lot about myself.  I let go of last year's failure.  I miss my 6th "toe," Rita.  (Blisters the size of toes deserve names, right?)

No comments: