Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Dear Diary,

I tried to quit you.  But I can't seem to get you out of my head.  You dominate my thoughts in my waking hours and I dream of a perfect relationship at night, though I doubt we'll ever have that.  You're too tough.  Too strong.  Too 'out there'.  But I'm going to keep working.  Keep trying.  Until one of us cries "uncle!" 

You plant little seeds in my mind, to try to get me to give in.  Give up.  You dangle little carrots.  "Take up ultra-running!"  "Commit to the marathon."  Using my love of running, you taunt me with distractions.  Are you scared?  Am I getting too close?  I'm stronger.  Better.  Faster.  And now you're the one who's getting nervous.  I might actually take you down.  Is that it? 

Well, just so you know, I have a plan.  I am preparing for my assault on you and you're not going to know what hit you.  You can throw what you want at me.  Rain.  Wind.  Hail.  Heat.  Dust.  I won't give in.  I won't back down.  I will not relent. 

It's you and me, Ironman.  I'm no longer going to be satisfied to just finish you.  This will be an all out war.  A battle to be the best that I can be.  You've got 5 chances to take me out.  If I prevail... WHEN I beat you... then I will be racing through the lava fields on the Big Island.  It will be my Legacy.   

We have a long history, you and me.  We used to be friends.  But you took advantage of my affection for you, so now we're through.  I'm done being nice.  Now, when I prepare, it's going to be as if you are the last battle on Earth.  When we meet again, you will submit.  You will lie down at my feet.  You will beg for mercy.  I am coming for you, Ironman.  And I am sharpening my skills on the way. 

When my Legacy is complete, then we will part ways.  Maybe as friends.  But until that day, you can count on the fact that I am hunting you.  Every day when I wake up, you will be on my mind as I train.  I will prepare as I never have before.  Bring your best, and on race day we'll see who the victor is. 


My Legacy:
#1:  Ironman Arizona 2007-  12:51:29
#2:  Ironman Arizona 2008-  12:48:35
#3:  Ironman Coeur d'Alene 2008-  12:41:43
#4:  Ironman Wisconsin 2009-  12:39:26
#5:  Ironman Arizona 2009- 11:58:51
#6:  Ironman Canada 2010-  12:26:59
#7:  Ironman Coeur d'Alene 2011-  12:33:22
#8:  Ironman Arizona 2012
#9-12 Ironman ??? 2013 and ?? 2014
#13:  Ironman Hawaii, via Legacy Program








No comments: