Thursday, May 3, 2012

IMSG Day 2: Swim & Bike Recon

Today started with a swim in the Sand Hollow Reservoir to check out the conditions.  The wind made for some pretty choppy water, but the temperatures were much warmer than what we anticipated.  After swallowing several mouthfuls of water, and being tossed around a bit, I had to come up with a swim mantra to avoid imminent panic attack.  I started repeating over and over and over in my head (to a 4 arm-stroke rhythm):  I. am. a strong. swimmer.  I. am. a strong. swimmer.  I. am. a strong. swimmer.  And before I knew it, I was believing it again, and swimming comfortably. 

Post swim at the Sand Hollow Reservoir
After the swim, we grabbed some coffee and parked the car to hop onto the bike course for a little spin.  We toured the course between miles 20-25 roughly, the area that goes through town at the beginning of each loop. 


After an hour spin on the bike, we hopped back in the car to drive the rest of the course.  We had biked it in February, but wanted to refresh our memories.  After a successful season of training, the hills that were so daunting a few months ago, now look tough but manageable.  We are feeling positive and hopeful for a good day on Saturday. 

The landscape of Ironman St. George is stark and in spots, breathtaking.  It is desert, but not the muted, sandy brown that we are used to in the Valley of the Sun.  It is brilliant reddish brown rock that pops against the green trees that are out of place in the valley floor.  Amidst the rock formations, are meadows of lava rock from the volcano outside of Veyo. 


How lucky am I that I get to bike through these areas on Saturday?


Just outside of Gundloch this beautiful homestead is surrounded by a white picket fence.  In the background are hills on all sides. 


Looking back on the road from where we came.  Long ways back!
The switchback to Veyo.  a.k.a.  The Wall.  If you look closely, you can see a cyclist making her way up the hill.


Once you get past Veyo, there's about a 16 mile reprieve before the start of the second loop.  This is the backdrop on the cruise back into town.  Gorgeous!


Gear bags laid out and ready to roll!
After we finished bike course recon, we had lunch at Great Harvest (again) and put together our gear bags while waiting for the rest of the family to arrive from Vegas.  We were so excited to see them pull into the hotel lot!  I think we spent the rest of the night laughing and joking and sharing plans and a little smack talk for Saturday.  We finished the night with dinner and a beer at a Mexican place we found in February.  As much as I'm looking forward to Saturday, I don't want this time with my
family to go by too quickly.  I treasure our time together. 

Tomorrow is a nice shake-out run in the morning.  We'll drop off bikes and gear bags at the reservoir and jump in for a swim while we're there.  An early pizza dinner, followed by an early bedtime and
race morning will be here.   


1 comment:

Christi said...

I love your swim mantra!

Sounds like you are doing everything right for getting in a great race.

Rest easy today and I will be rooting for you tomorrow!

Have you posted your race number for stalking?