Thursday, August 14, 2008

Contemplating Injury: An OCD Perspective

Went to the track this morning for some repeats. My warm-up over to the track was 2.5 miles. Ran 3 x 800 at 3:17. I was running out of time so the last repeat was 1 x 400 at 1:38. Then 2 miles cool down back to my house. I felt pretty good. The repeats were tough, but they weren't all out. Total mileage = 7.

My only concern is that for the last 5-7 days, my left hip has been really tight. Not painful. Just not normal. I have been faithfully doing my exercises to strengthen my glutes but this is starting to worry me as the last time I was doing a lot of running I had hip pain and ended up getting orthotics, working with PT, etc. All through my IM training the last 2 years I haven't had any issues. Now that my running mileage is increasing all those little things have the potential to resurface.

I already am meeting with a massage therapist, nutritionist and a personal trainer next week... why not add a physical therapist to the list? My significant other thinks I over-react... but then again he likes to just ignore his chronic injuries and hope they go away. (Sorry to call you out like that babe!) I definitely am too OCD to do that. I have to address issues before they turn into chronic injuries. And maybe I jump on things too quickly sometimes. Maybe I could figure some things out for myself. But I like to have a support group to help get me to where I need to go. I have only 5 months to get ready for this marathon. And if I don't qualify for Boston... it will be another year before I can start training for one again. I HAVE to do it right the first time around. Why set a goal if you aren't going to do everything you can to achieve it?

No comments: