Thursday, June 12, 2008

It's in the details...

You know, there's pros and cons to being a 'type A' personality. On top of that, I'm also mildly OCD and tend toward the aggressive side of assertiveness. For example... I'm very reliable. If I tell you that I will do something you can consider it done... yesterday. On the flip side, if you ask me to do something that I don't want to do- I'm going to tell you flat out that I am not going to be involved in said project in any way, shape or form. I'm a great planner. If you ever take a trip with me... it's likely that you are not involved in the details, have no idea the amount of work that I've put in to making sure the details are perfect, and sail happily through the vacation thinking that things just naturally work out the way we want them to... no effort required. On the other hand, I usually have driven you crazy asking for details of your flight information so that I can coordinate transportation, have requested that you provide a list of food allergies and aversions so that I can make dinner reservations, and attempted to coordinate packing so that no one is waiting on me at the airport... are we checking luggage or carrying on? I do enjoy being spontaneous. My schedule is so fine tuned that if you call me last minute to invite me to jet off to Hawaii or hike the GC, it takes only a brief glance at my planner to see if I'm free and available. I'm always up for adventure. Most people can't keep up with my pace. I walk fast. I talk fast. I fall asleep fast- literally within seconds of my head hitting the pillow. I eat fast. I can't sit still. I think fast. I work fast. I am hoping that it carries over and I race fast!

So, 'What', you are asking, 'does this have to do with anything?' Well, I have a race in 9 days. 9. I leave in 5 days. My type A/ OCD self is freaking out about what I forgot to pack in my gear bag. The fact that the weather has been sketchy in CDA and it might RAIN on race day. Who I'm meeting when and where and how I'm getting there. Whether or not my bike will actually show up. (I'm sure it will... TriBike is very responsible, but what if the bike shop loses Trixie between now and Friday night???) Whether or not I've packed warm enough clothes. And on and on and on. Really.. racing is the easy part. Once I get to race day and I can forget about everything else, I'm happy. I'm relaxed, focused on the goal. My sister who is a fly-by-the-seat-of-her-pants gal, completely opposite of me just laughs. 'At least you don't have me to take care of this time around,' she says-(she competed in IMAZ in April and came, well, less than prepared). I'm actually really excited for race day. Can't wait to board the plane and be on the way. But in the meantime, I'm stuck at work worrying about everything else I need to do. Argghh!

No comments: